GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #15
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Yup thats what I have, got it for $40 CAD. I installed the axle back GTI suitcase because this engine is a bit hard to get right. It needs some back pressure to create good power, some people have lost HP/TQ installing big exhaust pipes, by kept the original mid muffler to ensure that what ever resonance tuning and keep the exhaust gas velocity that VW had engineered would remain, my dyno results shows that was accomplished.
Where do you bought the axle back ? 40$ is a pretty cheap price So you kept the stock exhaust with all the stock components except for the axle-back ?
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #16
Blakcard
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safe...modified-cars/

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38193

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/06/...-are-different

scroll down to read under mufflers...

I get it now re: what you wrote.... Not arrested. Check.... Seems a crime that you can't even better your cars exhaust if it moderately alters away from OEM sound....pity. Move to Ontario...case solved
Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

The ticket I received talk about the article 258 which is:

258. Every motor vehicle must be equipped with an exhaust system that conforms to the standards established by regulation.

And the standards established by regulation is... Hmm, they are not very clear and they give no link about these standards.

I did some research and I found this: Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles

And on this chapter, there is the article 94:

No component of the exhaust system shall be replaced, modified or removed so as to cause the system to be noisier than the one originally installed by the manufacturer on the road vehicle.

They talk about components of the exhaust system. What if I changed the whole exhaust system ? I haven't modified, removed or replaced a components of the exhaust system since a replaced the whole exhaust system...

Seriously it sucks...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 AM   #18
MLue1
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMK6 View Post
Where do you bought the axle back ? 40$ is a pretty cheap price So you kept the stock exhaust with all the stock components except for the axle-back ?
Correct, I like the look of the rear of the GTI and the GTI suitcase flows better.

EDIT: My friend bought the entire GTI muffler system for $100, as the mid muffler on his 2006 A3 rusted out. He cut the mid muffler out installed it on his A3 and sold me the GTI suitcase muffler. Lots of GTI owners have upgraded their exhaust systems, they are out there for sale but some have kept the old GTI system to reinstall when they sell the car.

Last edited by MLue1; 02-15-2017 at 01:18 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Correct, I like the look of the rear of the GTI and the GTI suitcase flows better.

EDIT: My friend bought the entire GTI muffler system for $100, as the mid muffler on his 2006 A3 rusted out. He cut the mid muffler out installed it on his A3 and sold me the GTI suitcase muffler. Lots of GTI owners have upgraded their exhaust systems, they are out there for sale but some have kept the old GTI system to reinstall when they sell the car.
You did get a really good and friendly price, the GTI rear muffler is 336$ US new and the lowest I have seen on used is 135$US and they don't ship to Canada
Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #20
MLue1
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
You did get a really good and friendly price, the GTI rear muffler is 336$ US new and the lowest I have seen on used is 135$US and they don't ship to Canada
Post a Want To Buy (WTB) in the Canada Classifies Thread.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

There is already a GTI Valance for sale for $50 CAD$.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #21
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Post a Want To Buy (WTB) in the Canada Classifies Thread.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

There is already a GTI Valance for sale for $50 CAD$.
I saw the GTI Valance, the guy is from ontario, it's like 6-7 hours from here. I send him a message to know if it would accept to ship it.

Thanks for the advice, I made a thread
Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #22
MLue1
Rally Car Newbie

If you still have your old VW 2.5 exhaust system you could install the mid muffler instead of the Borla, it would sound like this video of a 2.5 with the rear suitcase delete.
https://youtu.be/VPWLKd1kdMM
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #23
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Quote:
If you still have your old VW 2.5 exhaust system you could install the mid muffler instead of the Borla, it would sound like this video of a 2.5 with the rear suitcase delete.
https://youtu.be/VPWLKd1kdMM
I'm not sure if it would sound like this. I still have my old VW 2.5 Exhaust, but I might sell my borla cat-back and put back my old exhaust, cut the rear muffler and put a GTI rear muffler. Because of the downpipe, it would sound louder and I would not be legal, since I modified / removed a component.

With the GTI rear muffler I would be legal since are all my components would be OEM

Do you have a video of your car's sound, would be interested to hear it

Last edited by FlowMK6; 02-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
MLue1
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
I'm not sure if it would sound like this. I still have my old VW 2.5 Exhaust, but I might sell my borla cat-back and put back my old exhaust, cut the rear muffler and put a GTI rear muffler. Because of the downpipe, it would sound louder and I would not be legal, since I modified / removed a component.

With the GTI rear muffler I would be legal since are all my components would be OEM

Do you have a video of your car's sound, would be interested to hear it
Sounds like the stock muffler but flows alot better with a 5 to 10 percent bump in milage.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #25
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

I put back the stock exhaust and I'm already missing the borla tone, does anyone know where I could get the borla muffler of this exhaust system:

http://techtonicstuning.com/main/ind...7914c3f68129bd

I read that the version with 2 borla muffler is quiet and have a good sporty tone. I'm looking for a muffler which reduce the sound without affecting the tone of my single borla muffler.

Edit:

Do you think this muffler could fit at the rear : http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/40364/10002/-1 ?

Last edited by FlowMK6; 03-20-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
Yanik
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: None of yet unfortunately
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
Wait a minute....where in Canada do you live that they can arrest you for an exhaust? I've heard of impounding, towing, ticketing etc....but never have I heard of anyone being arrested for a noise ordinance infraction. What were you arrested for? Trespassing? Disturbing the peace? What city/province are you in with such draconian lawmakers? Was it RCMP that arrested you?

Jus curious....

slap a suitcase muffler on that bad boy and i'm sure it'll silence right up
Depends on how many times you get pulled for the same offence... or just forward thinking
Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanik View Post
Depends on how many times you get pulled for the same offence... or just forward thinking
The officer told me that the day a officier will get tired of giving me tickets, he could get me towed...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #28
FlowMK6
Autocross Champion

Went to an exhaust shop, the guy told me that any of the borla muffler wouldn't fit without a lot of works. The length of all the muffler case are 14 inch which doesn't fit my exhaust piping without cutting and adding extra pipe.

He told a muffler of 8 inch would fit but the only thing I found is a magnaflow street series muffler for 220$ CAD instead of 180$ for a 14inch borla. I don't know how it would sound with my borla muffler and I'm not sure if it would make my car more quiet, I could take the risk of adding it or I could keep my exhaust like that, the price of adding the magnaflow is the same than 2 tickets so maybe I will just take the risk of getting ticketed 2 times. Also geeting a magnaflow is not risk-free, my sound would still sound louder than stock...