GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dieselgate Settlement

SyDiko

Ready to race!
This is honestly more than I was expecting from VW.

I was hoping this was the road they'd go down, and it makes sense because they want to salvage their reputation.

" Owners who choose to have VW buy back their cars would get the clean trade-in value from before the scandal became public on Sept. 18, 2015. The average value of a VW diesel has dropped 19 percent since just before the scandal began. In August of 2015, the average was $13,196, and this May it was $10,674, according to Kelley Blue Book.

The settlement still requires a judge's approval before it can go into effect. "

Stinger

Ready to race!
Damn I hope there is a flood of cheap as hell tdi's by the end of the year. I could use a winter beater.

Not sure about that but there should be a shit load of used parts on the market real soon. :bellyroll:

zrickety

The Fixer
Either way is win for all of us.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Im curious too about the one point brought up, what if you choose to fix it and you hate the way it performs? Can you still trade it in? I assume you would be able to because I assume theyre going to be required to fix them before they re-sell anyway

gliitch

Ready to race!
This is not a win for us. This is a garbage offer. Best thing you could do is log in to the comment websites that get set up and say this offer is not good enough and say that it should be more. Trade in value on my car? No thanks.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
This is not a win for us. This is a garbage offer. Best thing you could do is log in to the comment websites that get set up and say this offer is not good enough and say that it should be more. Trade in value on my car? No thanks.

And what would be fair then, in your opinion?

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I read that by law, they cannot sell or export ANY of the affected cars currently, and that they will have to be fixed and meet the EPA regulations in order to be sold or exported. But hypothetically if they choose to fix them, then there will definitely be excess supply.

And Gliitch, this isn't an 'offer'. This is a settlement. Panels, negotiations, teams, lawyers, etc went into calculating these values, which varies a lot. They are mandated BY LAW to give you what you are entitled.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Im curious too about the one point brought up, what if you choose to fix it and you hate the way it performs? Can you still trade it in? I assume you would be able to because I assume theyre going to be required to fix them before they re-sell anyway

The settlement is fix & restitution, or just restitution through trade in. I doubt any dealer would choose to let you trade in after fix, from the sheer amount of these they will have. They HAVE to let you trade it in pre fix, or they HAVE to give you restitution if you get the fix. A mix of both would be in the air, if that makes sense. They would not be required by law to do such.

But in theory if you just get the fix and money, you can just take your car to a tuner, and negate everything that just was fixed :)

gliitch

Ready to race!
And Gliitch, this isn't an 'offer'. This is a settlement. Panels, negotiations, teams, lawyers, etc went into calculating these values, which varies a lot. They are mandated BY LAW to give you what you are entitled.

Of course it's an offer. They are trying to persuade 85% of owners to trade in. . I didn't do anything wrong here this is not my fault. Why should I take a deflated offer on a car that I don't want to sell?

I have values too. Now I have to pay taxes on another vehicle, dealer fees, etc on top of the time and energy it takes to find another car.

And yes there is a settlement which is the "5k - 10k" they are giving. And since it is a settlement, I (we) have to agree to the amount. Sorry but shit trade in value on my car is not enough.

gliitch

Ready to race!
But in theory if you just get the fix and money, you can just take your car to a tuner, and negate everything that just was fixed :)

It's a good thought but considering there is no fix it's not really that easy.

More than likely it is going to require a retrofit with a Def tank and more emissions control so you would have to get that bypassed. And considering how expensive that retrofit would be it is doubtful they will do it but who knows.

lostk

Ready to race!
Of course it's an offer. They are trying to persuade 85% of owners to trade in. . I didn't do anything wrong here this is not my fault. Why should I take a deflated offer on a car that I don't want to sell?

I have values too. Now I have to pay taxes on another vehicle, dealer fees, etc on top of the time and energy it takes to find another car.

And yes there is a settlement which is the "5k - 10k" they are giving. And since it is a settlement, I (we) have to agree to the amount. Sorry but shit trade in value on my car is not enough.

no one cares...u getting money for it...how about us gti owners who are screwed with resale bc of crappy vw image from dieselgate? no sympathy here...