GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Start. Is this normal?

kelvillain

Ready to race!
more than one crank doesn't sound very normal, I've had mine for a year and a half and it always starts on the first crank, it'll take a little longer to start in the winter but as posted above, less than 2 seconds to start for sure.

Try plugging in your engine heater a few hours before you go out, the cable should be in your trunk and the plug is beside the drivers foglight, just in case you didn't know where it was.

See if your car behaves the same, maybe plug it in for an hour and try to start it, if it's the same then plug it in for another hour and see. You could isolate the problem and give you more information to take to a vw mechanic or dealer.

good luck

udon

Passed Driver's Ed
Theres an engine heater?!

Engine heater does not come standard on American TDI models, I believe its only standard in Canada.

I would take VR6Growl's advice and look into the "intercooler icing" issue with the dealership.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
I forgot to add this in in my last post, but on the two longest starts I've had, where the engine would have been sitting over night in temps that maybe only got down to 50-60 degrees F, it took a while to start, then start harder than normal, then MDI display showed ESP error and that's it. I'm taking the car in as soon as exams are out and I have time, but has anyone else had this happen?

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
I have the same thing happen intermittently (which makes it impossible to identify to a dealer). Mine occurs independent of temperature, however (will happen when sitting in my garage overnight, or in a parking lot during non-cold conditions).

greine16

Ready to race!
I know exactly what is going on! Your inter cooler line is filling up with condensation! Google iced inter cooler and you'll find all sorts of things on this. This is a major design flaw on the 2.0 CSR engines and has been a known issue since 2009

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Intercooler icing would cause more problems than just slow starting; and besides, we already mentioned that in like, the 3rd post... ;)

5280 TDI

This thread is a joke right? The car is located in Houston TX and the temperatures are getting down into the 50s. Intercooler icing in the 50s? Come on!

Saabstory

Wow; first post is a necro thread revival...? :rolleyes:

And "intercooler icing" is just the terminology; it can also occur from simple water condensation, end result is the same...

5280 TDI

Wow; first post is a necro thread revival...? :rolleyes:

And "intercooler icing" is just the terminology; it can also occur from simple water condensation, end result is the same...

Got to start somewhere.

Maybe it should be called intercooler drowning? ;)

Seriously though, I was just trying to point out the irony of 50s being considered "cold".

Saabstory

I know; I get the irony (and welcome back). However, the issue these cars have is that the intercooler is actually too efficient for its needs. That coupled with the low presser EGR pumping humid exhaust air back into the intake stream causes the water to condense.

It can happen at 50 degrees as well; it is just more common in cooler temps as the water condenses even faster.

jerrymander

Got to start somewhere.

Maybe it should be called intercooler drowning? ;)

Seriously though, I was just trying to point out the irony of 50s being considered "cold".
Here in Florida, my car has to crank for about 3 to 4 times longer than normal if it has sat all night in sub-50 temperatures.

This was before I knew about the glow plug light, but it was simple enough to figure out on my own.