GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the charcoal cannister used for ?

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie

My car in Hong Kong is equipped with this charcoal canister.
Lately there is a code and it is time to be replaced.

But is it still needed if I add a Catch can kit?
There was a thread where a owner delete this charcoal canister and installed two K&N filter on the original in and out pipe.

Any opinions on the charcoal canister delete?
I want to know what I am doing before making a move

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
It is part of emission control. The canister is there to prevent gas/fuel fume from entering the cabin. On the Golf Mk6. I'm on my 7th year of ownership and I've never replaced the canister. I have however, replaced the rigid tubing on top where there's an N80 valve due to some mishandling during engine bay washing.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
It is part of emission control. The canister is there to prevent gas/fuel fume from entering the cabin. On the Golf Mk6. I'm on my 7th year of ownership and I've never replaced the canister. I have however, replaced the rigid tubing on top where there's an N80 valve due to some mishandling during engine bay washing.
Will i experience a lower mpg or gasoline smell in the engine bay? If I remove the canister, put a k&n filters on the original inlet and outlet lines. And install a catch can as well.

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not so sure about removing the canister and vent to atmosphere. You'll probably run into some problem with local legislation.

As for the odor of fuel, high probability.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie