GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil leak- lower time chain cover/ time chain replacement

sleeplessTO

Hi folks, just need some suggestions here. Discovered an oil leak.
Took it to dealership, they ran a diagnostic and said they need to replace the lower time chain cover (parts and labor will be CAD $800), they also suggested due to the mileage (170,000 km), to also replace the time chain since it will have to be replaced eventually but if i change it now i can save some labour cost (total cost will be $1700 for time case and time chain).

i am hoping to keep the car for another year or 2, annual km is around 20,000-25,000.
i am prepared to get the chain cover replaced, but should i get the time chain replacement now or wait?

i was reading it from the forum, it looks like the time chain and tensioner seem to be a common problems for Mk6.

Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
it would definitely be a good idea to get that done while they are in there, especially with your mileage and your timing chain being the early version

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Also, I just had it done at 86.5k miles (~140k km) I had the same leak as well and my timing chain was pretty stretched, now I don't have to worry about it for several more years and I have the revised part in there now

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yes, my chain jumped 2 teeth. I had an oil leak same as you. Luckily no valves or pistons were damaged. Could have been serious regrets.