GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***Vandalized :,(***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
Sometimes you gotta hear a different truth to put things in perspective. If you want to keep this car, let's round up some numbers:

20k for 38k miles (a bit above market price)
9k in damage

And you don't want to let go.

Total investment and maintenance for the car will be $29k approx.

PLUS a non-clean car fax. It will bite you in the ass in the long run.

Your dad will most likely settle if it's totaled. I'll assume his older age and experience will make him realize that even though a car is a sentimental thing it's more of an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to wait and see

Bouse

Ready to race!
so your GTI is worth roughly 15k, actually much much less now with the dents. If the damage is 9k it most likely will be totaled. Here is the next problem, you have a loan on it for 20k.. After insurance decides to total it and give you the value of the car(15k) you're going to have 5k still in debt on a loan for a car that doesn't exist. I hope you got gap insurance

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
it sounds a bit too expensive for the repair. i doubt it is totaled. keep us updated. my dad had his car get sideswiped by another car merging into the lane on his 3 month old 2.5 Jetta, the bill came out 6k..bumper damage plus 2 doors and front fender. these are just dents with easily replaceable fender and a PDR dude for the hatch and i doubt the vandals had enough strength to cause structrual damage underneath

Eroc93

Ready to race!
20k and you put down? :0

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
so your GTI is worth roughly 15k, actually much much less now with the dents. If the damage is 9k it most likely will be totaled. Here is the next problem, you have a loan on it for 20k.. After insurance decides to total it and give you the value of the car(15k) you're going to have 5k still in debt on a loan for a car that doesn't exist. I hope you got gap insurance

Gap insurance lol

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
it sounds a bit too expensive for the repair. i doubt it is totaled. keep us updated. my dad had his car get sideswiped by another car merging into the lane on his 3 month old 2.5 Jetta, the bill came out 6k..bumper damage plus 2 doors and front fender. these are just dents with easily replaceable fender and a PDR dude for the hatch and i doubt the vandals had enough strength to cause structrual damage underneath

Will do man

theunholy

Go Kart Champion

just curious, do the check from the insurance have to go to his finance? or he can get the 15k (from totaled value) --> buy a "new" car ---> continue to pay for the debt (debt from totaled car)?

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
just curious, do the check from the insurance have to go to his finance? or he can get the 15k (from totaled value) --> buy a "new" car ---> continue to pay for the debt (debt from totaled car)?

typically the check will be cut to the owner of the vehicle / person on the insurance contract. the insurance and the bank do not usually talk to each other. the owner of the vehicle can determine what they want to do with the money from the insurance company, but they'll still have the loan that needs to be paid off somehow.

I've had several vehicles totaled for various reasons and this has been the procedure every time. I'm not 100% sure on the bank/loan procedure since my vehicles didn't have liens on them when they were totaled. Some insurance companies offer 'gap insurance' in the event your vehicle's worth is substantially less than what you owe for its lein. Usually this is only for new(er) vehicles though.

Last edited:

SCH5500

Passed Driver's Ed
Gap insurance lol

I hope you aren't saying that like it's a joke. He's giving you a solid point. If you didn't purchase the gap insurance and they total the vehicle, you still owe the difference in value which can be thousands of dollars.

Have you gotten a second estimate at a different body shop? It might be worth shopping around to see who has the best deals to do the work if you are serious about spending the money to fix it, especially if it will put you in a little more control over cost.

Also, it might be worth discussing your options with your insurance broker as far as totaling the vehicle is concerned. I know with Liberty Mutual, if I were to have my vehicle totaled, they help you into the same car a model year newer. You're in better shape than someone who was driving their vehicle, causing the accident and then totaling it. At least you weren't in it at the time and the cause.

Either way, best of luck to you.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
welcome to growing up. everyone wanted to do it until it involves brokers and shit. Good luck OP

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
nothigs happend to my car yet.. besides a few door dings.

However ive noticved that people see my white gti and assume its the same white gti that sped through their neighborhood 6 months ago or cut them off last week..

It doesnt matter if i have different tails they just see some similarities and go hey were you driving through this area? etc

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So my point was maybe you were mistaken identity..
'
still shitty that people feel the need to fuck shit up for no reason or any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.