GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I am the "1" vote so far. They started out as a great product with my BKR7EIX plugs. I was first stage 2 with them and went K04. I had my K04 on the car and when I uninstalled the K04 and reflased back to stage 2 I had ridiculous amounts of misfires. Nothing changed other than a tune and turbo. I have been confused about that since then but I'm back on OEM coilpacks for now.

have you confirmed that one of the R8 packs was actually the root cause of the misfires and had itself failed?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I am the "1" vote so far. They started out as a great product with my BKR7EIX plugs. I was first stage 2 with them and went K04. I had my K04 on the car and when I uninstalled the K04 and reflased back to stage 2 I had ridiculous amounts of misfires. Nothing changed other than a tune and turbo. I have been confused about that since then but I'm back on OEM coilpacks for now.

I hope you do realize other sensors DO cause misfires.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
IN4UPDATES.

MKVI66

Passed Driver's Ed
Swapped to the r8s when the k04 went on, 26k miles later and no issues.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
This is really almost impossible to quantify. 95% of the time Bad plugs, poor gaps etc take out the coilpaks. Those guys just swapping in new paks (MANY here, you know who you are!) are ignoring the underlying issue. I have 1.8T friends with 180K ++ on original coilpaks, but they maintain their cars..

mfractal

Ready to race!
While some may say they are purchased "because they are red", I keep my engine cover on and really don't give a shit what color they are, I care about them getting the job done and not leaving me stranded on the side of the road or limping off the race track like my stock one did.

Couldn't agree with you more there!

Upgraded to stage 2, coil burned within 5 days :)
Ever since (about 5k) running revision E ones (last revision) and no issues there.

I do have 2 of my old ones in the trunk haha

Tapatalkin'

mcgti6

Ready to race!
have had NO issues at all since installed ~16000 miles ago.

i think there are also red vw stock coilpacks. so the red color doesn't necessarily mean that they are r8 coilpacks. just sayin. i could be wrong though.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
in4updates...

considering stickying this thread, lol.

clownish

just clowning around
Used since stage 1 and 10k mi or so. K04 now @ almost 40k. Stock plugs; never changed those - just the coils. No misfires no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ the poll is with regard to those that HAVE R8 coilpacks....

Buffgli

Ready to race!
Had problem with my stock ones on stage 2 around 56k. Swapped the coil packs for R8 ones and haven't had an inkling of a misfire since (83k)