GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple Directions, One Goal - George11's GTI

George11

Ready to race!
Finally got some dedicated track wheels, they meet all my criteria of no spacers, no hub centric rings (factory bore size), light weight, cheap to replace if I have something go wrong. Now to figure out what to run as a cheap road tire for my daily set that won't wear out quickly but grip that might be harder to find.

Here is a quick picture of the wheels, Neuspeed 17x8 RSE05's

George11

Ready to race!
This weekend I cleaned my wheels. I first did a light soap wash followed with removing all old wheel weight glue with plastic razor blades and goo gone. Then wiped the wheels down with a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol. After work I plan on buying a wheel protectant to coat the wheels with.

With multiple stages of cleaning I was able to get the brake dust I built up from track day pads and regular driving from all the nooks. Hopefully with the steps I have done they will be easier to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

George11

Ready to race!
Since I started taking the car to the track I have noticed a little bit of oil burn half way through my 8 events, though not while I drive the car daily. I believe this is due to sloshing of the oil, at Buttonwillow just after Cotton Corners is where I typically would get an oil warning due to the oil being low and the severity of the corners. I looked at the available oil pans and found 3 different brands, Wortec, ECS Tuning and VEC (Vector Engineering Calibration). All look up to the task with increased capacity, baffling and Wortec or VEC with finned exterior design. All three use different materials and construction that is reflected in the pricing, Wortec uses Cast Aluminum ($540), ECS uses stainless steel T304 ($449), and VEC uses Billet T6 Aluminum ($900). I considered the three options and rated the VEC #1 though due to the price I felt it was a poor choice. So I went with my second choice which is the Wortec model.

The removal and installation of the new oil pan took me approximately 2.5 hours of time, I was able to complete it with the car on four jack stands. Prying off the old oil pan did take a lot of patience, with interchanging between the mallet and prying on the transmission side of the oil pan (*Don't pry with a screwdriver on the mating surface*). Cleaning the mating surface took me about 45 minutes of my time, I did not want to rush this step since a clean surface will provide the best results. I used plastic razor blades, a short narrow metal bristle brush and paper towels sprayed with brake cleaner. The hardest two areas to clean due to clearance are at the back of the block due to another engine component and transmission side. The installation of the oil pan was a bit awkward due to wanting to smear the gasket material from it touching the engine multiple times when I put it on. Once on I used the torque chart below starting with hand tight then 8 NM then a 45 degree turn.

Useful links
Volkswagen Workshop Manual
Deutsche Auto Parts YouTube Video

Last edited:

George11

Ready to race!
Another mod completed, Prosport Evo Boost gauge and Oil Temp gauge (still shippng) installed into a NewSouth Performance Dual gauge pod over the steering wheel.

Honestly some parts were tricky since it is my first time doing wiring. I got ansers from Plac's hardwire video for the GTI and was detailed using techniques I recently saw on Jimmy Oaks youtube. For the vacuum line, I followed what CaffeineTX posted in this thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71765 for where to route the boost line from.

Here is a picture of the wiring I did with expandable wire sleeves, the wire lengths were measured to prevent clutter. I also used self adhesive clips to keep the wires clean.

https://youtu.be/l5hZrpGvBh0

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Visiting your build thread after a long time. Great to see all the progress you have made with the car! I too yearn after a light RWD car (BRZ, Miata etc) now that we have a 2nd practical car in our garage, but that's still far in the future. Have a lot more to do and experience with my GTI. Loving it as of now :)

George11

Ready to race!
Visiting your build thread after a long time. Great to see all the progress you have made with the car! I too yearn after a light RWD car (BRZ, Miata etc) now that we have a 2nd practical car in our garage, but that's still far in the future. Have a lot more to do and experience with my GTI. Loving it as of now :)
Thanks for the post, I have not had much replies. I try to keep everything up to date when it happens and maintain a wheelwell page. I noticed you on there.

I had planned on doing a lot of different track days but I might have a dedicated track car / weekend toy. Too soon to say, I am in the middle of getting a pre purchase inspection later this week.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the post, I have not had much replies. I try to keep everything up to date when it happens and maintain a wheelwell page. I noticed you on there.

I had planned on doing a lot of different track days but I might have a dedicated track car / weekend toy. Too soon to say, I am in the middle of getting a pre purchase inspection later this week.

Hmmm, atb with that! Yes, if you do have another daily-driver, it makes sense to go for a track car. No other car can beat a GTI at being the only car though :)

George11

Ready to race!
Finally pulled the trigger on an S2000 track car. I will be selling my track oriented items off of the car and returning the car to everyday use.

I love the GTI more because I bought it new and know everything that I have done. The S2000 is a used car that is going to require a lot of work to get it to a point I am happy with it. It was owned by 5 or 6 other people that have made their changes to the car. Currently I have replaced a rear wheel bearing, torn out the old alpine head unit that was poorly wired and out of date and repainting the valve cover.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Finally pulled the trigger on an S2000 track car. I will be selling my track oriented items off of the car and returning the car to everyday use.

I love the GTI more because I bought it new and know everything that I have done. The S2000 is a used car that is going to require a lot of work to get it to a point I am happy with it. It was owned by 5 or 6 other people that have made their changes to the car. Currently I have replaced a rear wheel bearing, torn out the old alpine head unit that was poorly wired and out of date and repainting the valve cover.

Congrats on your new purchase! Happy that you are keeping the GTI :)