GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend stage 2 daily silent (latest revision) review

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Update:
After having this clutch almost 4 years to the day and about 30k miles I would have to not recommend it for k04 power and beyond.

The clutch has been slipping on a k04 running apr 3.1 at peak torque when temps are below 65 degrees. My car is not a daily so I don't usually drive it under those conditions anyhow.

Clutch slip is small. About a 500 to 1k rpm jump at 4K rpm. It has been slipping since year 2 or 20k miles.

Here is log showing the slip. Look at the green line which is rpm

Southbend stage 2 daily silent with single mass flywheel(latest revision) review vids below

I will start off that I am extremely happy with my choice. Car drives like stock, sounds quiet and grabs hard.

Purchased from HSTuning groupbuy the latest revision of the silent design.http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51834

I HIGHLY recommend HSTUNING for any purchase. Dave gave me some of the best customer service I have ever received!

Southbend had many problems with the earlier silent designs due to the marcel springs being to thick.

crew219: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Dave@hstuning explains the newest revision:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49165

I chose the silent design because of the hub design. It has a floating spline carrier which allows for axial misalignment. This misalignment is responsible for the springs popping out of earlier non silent hubs. It has a sachs OEM clutch hub designed for another VAG application.

Why the daily and not the endurance or something else?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/clutch/

If you want oem engagement and drivability go organic.

I had it installed at Tuning Works. Really nice guys and a great shop.

http://www.tuning-works.com/

IMG_2046 by mustache rash, on Flickr

IMG_2051 by mustache rash, on Flickr

IMG_2054 by mustache rash, on Flickr

IMG_2092 by mustache rash, on Flickr

IMG_2091 by mustache rash, on Flickr

IMG_2166 by mustache rash, on Flickr

Video Review

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This is really confirming what I've heard/seen in other videos of the new revision. The springs are beefy and its allowing for little chatter/noise.

How is the clutch feel (weight & catch point)? How is the lightened flywheel, do you notice a difference?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
This is really confirming what I've heard/seen in other videos of the new revision. The springs are beefy and its allowing for little chatter/noise.

How is the clutch feel (weight & catch point)? How is the lightened flywheel, do you notice a difference?

The weight was VERY heavy at first. I hated it. After around 300 miles it softened up alot. At around 500 miles I would say it became about 10% or less stiffer then stock. Really nice feel

The catch point is identical to stock as I remember. Its sort of in the middle of the peddle range.
Take off is as smooth as stock since it is organic....

JT641

Banned
How many miles do you have on it so far, Was just talking to APRMK6GTi & his got louder after so many miles, He says it much louder than it was in the video he did. So if yours was to get as loud as his & bob's then I might as well stick with what I bought??

Anybody have pics of the endurance version

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Is it still as quiet as it was after the install

Every aspect improved with mileage.
At first it was grabby and stiff. Now it's smooth as oem. The noise has not changed.

Don't be fooled, there is gear noise when decelerating, just zero at idle

McQueen77

Banned
Sounds pretty quiet to me, nice

JT641

Banned
Every aspect improved with mileage.
At first it was grabby and stiff. Now it's smooth as oem. The noise has not changed.

Don't be fooled, there is gear noise when decelerating, just zero at idle

What about at idle with the A/C on. Still quiet

Wish I could find someone local that has the same clutch as yours or the endurance version which is what I'd get.

Thanks Paul!
Please keep us all updated as you put more miles on the clutch kit :thumbsup:

Dave do you have any pics of the stage 2 endurance disc & what kind of material does it use

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Dave do you have any pics of the stage 2 endurance disc & what kind of material does it use

It uses sintered iron on the flywheel side and organic on the pp side

In my opinion, the clutch is only as good as its weakest link. So for me, those hybrids make no sense. Plus organic is much smoother. Just my opinion.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Great review! Thanks for taking the time! I have the same kit going in Thursday. Hoping it will be enough to run the 100 octane tune on my K04. Had originally ordered the Stage 3 Daily, but they did not come over in the last shipment from Japan. I could not wait another 2+ months, so I had HS Tuning (Dave and Ken are awesome) send me the Stage 2 Daily instead. This is going to be the longest 1000 miles ever!

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Great review! Thanks for taking the time! I have the same kit going in Thursday. Hoping it will be enough to run the 100 octane tune on my K04. Had originally ordered the Stage 3 Daily, but they did not come over in the last shipment from Japan. I could not wait another 2+ months, so I had HS Tuning (Dave and Ken are awesome) send me the Stage 2 Daily instead. This is going to be the longest 1000 miles ever!

Thanks man. You are going to love it.

From my research, organic clutches don't really require that much of a break in. 400-500 is fine. Just don't dump the clutch or do sudden impacts and you will be fine. I couldn't stay out of boost ;)

JT641

Banned
It uses sintered iron on the flywheel side and organic on the pp side

In my opinion, the clutch is only as good as its weakest link. So for me, those hybrids make no sense. Plus organic is much smoother. Just my opinion.

Ok Dave :D Still need pics of it.