GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GTI Rattle and solution thread

gsxrr7

F*** this is so annoying. I hear a squeak/creaking sound along with a rattle from somewhere in the trunk (I'm guessing hatch door?). Last time I removed the trunk foam, spare tire, jack and tools, and drove with the back seats folded down and I still heard the sounds. I put velcro on the tail light resistor boxes so they don't move at all. I wrapped electrical tape on the hatch door striker. I moved the rubber bump stops further out to the point where when the hatch door is shut it doesn't sit flush (sticks out a little bit).

I'm eventually gonna adjust the rubber bump stops out a little further or try driving with the hatch door open.

Other than that, anybody have any ideas what the sound could be or what I should try next??

Jaber

Modero
F*** this is so annoying. I hear a squeak/creaking sound along with a rattle from somewhere in the trunk (I'm guessing hatch door?). Last time I removed the trunk foam, spare tire, jack and tools, and drove with the back seats folded down and I still heard the sounds. I put velcro on the tail light resistor boxes so they don't move at all. I wrapped electrical tape on the hatch door striker. I moved the rubber bump stops further out to the point where when the hatch door is shut it doesn't sit flush (sticks out a little bit).

I'm eventually gonna adjust the rubber bump stops out a little further or try driving with the hatch door open.

Other than that, anybody have any ideas what the sound could be or what I should try next??

I have a squeak coming from that area as well. I removed everything in the hatch and it's still there. I have factory tails. Cleaned the seal around the hatch door and checked the stops. Need to find an area where I can drive with the hatch open and see if it still does it.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I have a squeak coming from that area as well. I removed everything in the hatch and it's still there. I have factory tails. Cleaned the seal around the hatch door and checked the stops. Need to find an area where I can drive with the hatch open and see if it still does it.

For months now I've had a horrible sound that sounds like a plastic bead rapidly vibrating (plastic on plastic) back there .It gets to a point where it's embarrassingly loud at some points. After trying EVERYTHING, I'm assuming it's a broken clip that supports a wire or something behind the hatch plastic. Gonna pry it off soon to find it.

Jaber

Modero
For months now I've had a horrible sound that sounds like a plastic bead rapidly vibrating (plastic on plastic) back there .It gets to a point where it's embarrassingly loud at some points. After trying EVERYTHING, I'm assuming it's a broken clip that supports a wire or something behind the hatch plastic. Gonna pry it off soon to find it.

Yeah mine is pretty annoying. Usually end up turning up the music and hopefully with warmer weather outside, the wind will help drown out the noise, wherever it's coming from. I'm afraid to mess with the interior pieces and make it worse (create new noises :lol:).