GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fresh Detail

TheCor

Ready to race!
Just sharing a fresh detail for the summer. After washing and drying I used a Mother's Gold Class clay bar, machine polished with some very forgiving light action Turtlewax polish on my 10" orbital. Then hand waxed with Meguiar's Cleaner wax, and buffed off with the orbital. I know there are better products out there, I just don't have the time I used to or the funds to go all out on product. But I'm pretty happy with the result, I've never polished before. A smaller orbital and some foam pads would be nice before the fall.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Looks pretty good there mate. Good job, and it must feel good in the back of your head knowing its done!

TheCor

Ready to race!
Looks good! I need to do the same when my car gets out the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good there mate. Good job, and it must feel good in the back of your head knowing its done!

Thanks, I appreciate it. There's just something awesome about being the nicest looking car on the way to work in the morning - even if you'll never hear it from anyone. You KNOW there are other people out there just like us that appreciate seeing a clean ride.

TheCor

Ready to race!

TheCor

Ready to race!
Did you consider ceramic coating it?

I have seen a few posts about that, maybe something I should consider when I detail again before the winter? Is it recommended to apply that by machine vs hand? I'm pretty oldschool and do most of it by hand, plus my orbital is big enough to do a literal boat lol

edit: Just read up on Cquartz...not cheap...but if that (or something like it) is the real deal, I'm interested. Looks like they suggest gently applying it by hand....
"1. Shake well. Pour a few drops of CQuartz on a microfiber applicator pad.
2. Apply C.Quartz in straight lines, criss-crossing each car panel.
3. Wait 10-20 minutes on average. At 30° C. (86° F), wait 5-10 min. At 20° C (67° F), wait 15 min. At 15°C (59° F) wait 20 minutes. Then wipe off gently with soft microfiber towel with short looped fibers. Avoid re-using the wipe off microfiber towels because they will harden and crystallize.
4. Let dry for 1hour at 25° C (77° F) or 3 hours at 15° C (59° F). The coating will dry completely within 48 hours."

c72k

Go Kart Champion
I have seen a few posts about that, maybe something I should consider when I detail again before the winter? Is it recommended to apply that by machine vs hand? I'm pretty oldschool and do most of it by hand, plus my orbital is big enough to do a literal boat lol

edit: Just read up on Cquartz...not cheap...but if that (or something like it) is the real deal, I'm interested. Looks like they suggest gently applying it by hand....
"1. Shake well. Pour a few drops of CQuartz on a microfiber applicator pad.
2. Apply C.Quartz in straight lines, criss-crossing each car panel.
3. Wait 10-20 minutes on average. At 30° C. (86° F), wait 5-10 min. At 20° C (67° F), wait 15 min. At 15°C (59° F) wait 20 minutes. Then wipe off gently with soft microfiber towel with short looped fibers. Avoid re-using the wipe off microfiber towels because they will harden and crystallize.
4. Let dry for 1hour at 25° C (77° F) or 3 hours at 15° C (59° F). The coating will dry completely within 48 hours."

Since you have the prep work done, might as well. (Assuming you corrected etc). Great investment and will always have the ultra gloss. And you must apply by hand then wipe off.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Looks good man. I really want to clay and polish but I just haven't had the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCor

Ready to race!
This is a shameless thread for forum love lol, wife doesn't care how it looks. Here is another good one before it got covered in pollen again.

green hell

Ready to race!
that looks very nice! don't worry about your product selection too much; i use otc meguiar's products (and the mother's stuff is good too - my experience is that mother's looks better on dark cars, megs on light cars, but i haven't spilt a bottle of mother's in a while)...

that long parenthetical ruined my flow.

anyway, you can dump big money on boutique products, but for the vast majority of consumers/enthusiasts, the stuff you buy at advance auto will be just fine.

i detailed mine in early march; use clay bar, polish, glaze and meg's ultimate.

wash with optimum no-rinse and use good spray wax every couple of weeks and your car will be good all season.

well done!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i'm surprised you achieved those results with such forgiving polish on an orbital. nice job, looks great.

Nothing better than knowing your paint is jeweled; in case you aren't in the know, there are SO many awesome car wash tips/tricks out there to help prevent future swirl marks - def recommend anyone to check them out at a minimum to keep our GTI's shinin' for years to come.

Marco'sGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I used the same clay bar kit about 2 weeks ago. Feels weird the first time, especially when the clay slows down over a rough or dry spot. I then tried the Meguiars ultimate polish & ultimate wax with their DA attachment. The cheapest thing to a non-hand buffer, but was still cool. Car felt so smooth afterwards.