GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift points for 2011 Golf???

jaccyn0

I also generally shift at 3,000 RPM's when i'm in the lower gears. This seems to help me get the fuel economy that I am currently getting. A couple of mods that I have had done to my car to improve fuel economy are: A K&N Drop in Air Filter Replacement, serviced every 10,000 miles. I had the muffler under the vehcicle by the drivers rear wheel replaced with a Dynomax Super Turbo for quiteness & HP & fuel mileage improvement, & I had the rear resonator replaced with a Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet for a little bit more noise as well as improved fuel economy. Originally with the stock air filter & stock exhaust system, I was only getting 28-30mpg. I ran a reputable Exhaust & Brake shop for 6 years & have alot of knowledge in what works & what does not work for performance & economy benefits. These cars are so quiet I needed something that produced a little bit more noise for shift points. I am very happy with the system that I am running now, but I would still like to be able to lower my RPM's more in 5th gear. If I have to change the Ring & Pinion to achieve that & raise all of my gears, I will do that. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you, Jack Blodgett.

XJLI

Jeez... is it the final drive that was changed or maybe just the 5th gear? Im at like 2100 in 5th at 70 on my 2012

tardman91

Ready to race!
On my 2011 Golf 2.5l at 70mph in 5th gear I am at 3,200 RPM's. I thought this was kind of high. I have stock wheels & tires on it. I am looking into getting a LSD for my transmission & changing out the Ring & Pinion so that I can have a taller 5th. I know this will affect my bottom end, but i'm not worried about that. I do 100 miles a day of freeway driving & average 31-34 mpg. I would like to know if anyone knows, What Ring & Pinion do I need to run to get my vehicle at 2,000 RPM's at 70mph in 5th gear? That is the goal RPM I was shooting for & feel that it will benefit my economy quite a bit.

I'm just about 2,200 in 5th gear going 70 in my 2011 Golf 2.5L. Weird. :confused:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Someone is clearly not quoting something accurately.

And the GTI revs higher than the 2.5 at 70... with regards to that one guy that posted.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Jeez... is it the final drive that was changed or maybe just the 5th gear? Im at like 2100 in 5th at 70 on my 2012

I wish my car turned that low of RPM on the highway. Its a 2010 though so it has the higher gearing.

madbikes

Ready to race!
I would like to know if anyone knows, What Ring & Pinion do I need to run to get my vehicle at 2,000 RPM's at 70mph in 5th gear? That is the goal RPM I was shooting for & feel that it will benefit my economy quite a bit.

You will need the gearing to be at about 0.615:1 for 5th gear in order to rev the same as the 2012 ratio.

2010/2011? Gear Ratio
Final drive: 3.65

2012 Gear Ratios (Same as Mk6 Jetta 5-speed manual)
Final drive: 3.39

madbikes

Ready to race!
If I'm not in a hurry, I sort of drive mine like a diesel and shift around 2-ish. Can't always put the car in 5th on city streets because the gearing is too long. On the fuel economy side, I average about 26mpg in reality while I achieved as high as 37mpg on a single trip according to my MFD readout.

I'd like to swap for the 3.65 final drive tranny for better acceleration.

jaja123

Ready to race!
If I'm not in a hurry, I sort of drive mine like a diesel and shift around 2-ish. Can't always put the car in 5th on city streets because the gearing is too long. On the fuel economy side, I average about 26mpg in reality while I achieved as high as 37mpg on a single trip according to my MFD readout.

I'd like to swap for the 3.65 final drive tranny for better acceleration.

not worth it. Have not driven the 2012 but its probably not worth the effort.