GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Fuel economy.

Come again?

The new generation EA888 in the europeak MK7 has port and direct injection.

Also, FWIW, the FR-S/BRZ gets pretty good fuel economy for a sporty vehicle with a short-ratio transmission.

Bender1

Banned
Come again?

The new generation EA888 in the europeak MK7 has port and direct injection.

Also, FWIW, the FR-S/BRZ gets pretty good fuel economy for a sporty vehicle with a short-ratio transmission.

You can get great economy with port injection but you will always get better if you don't utilize it.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah my buildup wasn't close to that bad at all. but as a few others said, i didn't see any improvements in mpg or performance after. it just seemed like someone sprayed carbon plastidip in my valves. it wasn't all chunky l ike that other one :barf:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
You guys do good work sir. I'll subscribe to your newsletter.
May not be the cheapest in the area but were certainly very thorough
Pm me if youre getting closer to mileage that will require a preventative manual cleaning. Ive been in discussion with my service manager for offering a discounted cleaning rate to forum members so im guaging interest ao we can adjust the price accordingly.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
May not be the cheapest in the area but were certainly very thorough
Pm me if youre getting closer to mileage that will require a preventative manual cleaning. Ive been in discussion with my service manager for offering a discounted cleaning rate to forum members so im guaging interest ao we can adjust the price accordingly.

Interesting.....

So what is the recommended mileage target for getting this done?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Interesting.....

So what is the recommended mileage target for getting this done?

just texted ken and told him im coming in at 60K, so about 10k from now....NP is very fair for our area and when dealing with ken shits a breeze

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
just texted ken and told him im coming in at 60K, so about 10k from now....NP is very fair for our area and when dealing with ken shits a breeze

So is 60K the recommended milestone or just your preference? I'm at 42K now.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. So Bender, if the blow by that gets vented back into the intake manifold is the cause of the carbon buildup, why doesn't a catch can solve the problem if it's job is to catch the blow by so it doesn't have to be rerouted into the intake manifold? Or why not just route the blow by into the exhaust and have it go through the cats?

Bender1

Banned
So is 60K the recommended milestone or just your preference? I'm at 42K now.

I will be doing it again in 60. I think anywhere from 50-60 makes sense.

And agreed with Steve's comment. North Penn was nothing but fair and obviously Ken is great to deal with.

Bender1

Banned
Interesting. So Bender, if the blow by that gets vented back into the intake manifold is the cause of the carbon buildup, why doesn't a catch can solve the problem if it's job is to catch the blow by so it doesn't have to be rerouted into the intake manifold?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this question. They don't work but I don't know why. I would theorize that it is because it is vaporized and there is little place for it to condense as the surfaces that it would condense on get water condensation on it first. Which would prevent or discourage carbon condensation. That is just a theory though.

Or why not just route the blow by into the exhaust and have it go through the cats?

Not sure about the amount of vacuum that would be created by the exhaust. I could think of some negative side effects that I wouldn't want a daily driver (smell and occasional smoke) but it is likely doable. Frankly, I think the issue is controllable enough via other means that I wouldn't want to go down that road.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
I will be doing it again in 60. I think anywhere from 50-60 makes sense.

And agreed with Steve's comment. North Penn was nothing but fair and obviously Ken is great to deal with.

Oh Mr. Buildup expert...take from that what you will...

I will ask so that it is recorded in this here sticky; are there differences with the TDI vs other engines?