• Exhaust (CBE or DP)

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
If you want more power but don't want to spend the cash for a downpipe and tune combo, you could always just do the stage 1 tune.

Stage 1 tune will be a total night and day difference from stock power levels and can be had for less than $500 (no intake required). Just be aware that there is an upgrade charge to go from stage 1 to stage 2 tune once you get a downpipe. So in the long run... going straight to stage 2 tune + downpipe will save you a bit a cash.

I'm not sure if we established if your manual transmission or DSG. But be forewarned that your clutch will probably start to slip with stage 1 tune. You can still drive with a slipping clutch but you won't be able to fully utilize the new power. Red top coilpacks are a must with a tune too... pretty sure you said you have those already.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Here's what I did, Mind you im 18 and im a broke college kid. Get an intake for spool noises and woosh, get a resonator delete for a cheap increase in sound, and then get a tune.

ce4

Ready to race!
I'm not sure if we established if your manual transmission or DSG. But be forewarned that your clutch will probably start to slip with stage 1 tune. You can still drive with a slipping clutch but you won't be able to fully utilize the new power. Red top coilpacks are a must with a tune too... pretty sure you said you have those already.

Should have mentioned that, I am DSG.

nickmk6r

Passed Driver's Ed
I can say without a doubt that suspension is not something you want to be “cheap” with, its better to just drop a bigger amount of money on it and be happy right away. Id agree with others saying downpipe is the way to go for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ce4

Ready to race!
I'm trying to talk her into letting me use just a bit more to go with Cobb AP and Stratified Tunes. This really seems to be a better, cost effective way to increase performance.

Agreed, suspension is definitely not something to skimp on (ie cheaper coils, coilovers). Learned that the hard way with my trucks but didn't know how it applies to this type of platform.

MK6GTI-10

Passed Driver's Ed
Intake is mostly for noise.

I love my lowering springs on stock suspension, opinions vary on this.

CBE is mostly for noise as well.

Catless downpipe will be the best bang for the buck. Slightly more noise if you go catless, faster spool and more power. Yes you should get tuned. Go Stg 2.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Bank that money or take your girlfriend out for a nice weekend. Your call, you got my opinion because you asked.

I like that idea a lot. Best idea of all. Again, the opinion you asked for.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Definitely agree with others on the suspension front. There isn't a way to go lower cheaply without significant ride quality tradeoffs, and suspension can be a rabbit hole. If you do lowering springs, you'll hate the ride and want upgraded dampers, and when you see the price you'll think should have just gone with like an ST X kit, and you'll do either of those two, then once you have more damper performance you'll realize you want stiffer LCA bushings, then Tyrolsport subframe collars, nicer wheels, etc. etc. I'm cautiously wading my way into this territory and I can easily see the slippery slope into a bunch more money.

I disagree, I have VWR springs on stock dampers and there is no loss of ride quality at all. A little stiffer/flatter in cornering but otherwise feel like stock, and to top it off I'm on 19s. Now granted mine were installed when the car was pretty much brand new and still has very low miles. The OP has 50K+ miles on his so they are pretty much near the end of their lifespan anyway, so yeah he should get new dampers with any new springs he were to get.

I didn't vote for springs though. I say put the money toward a tune and downpipe. and then a clutch if you are manual.

ce4

Ready to race!
None of the above.

Tires or tune.

That's kinda where I'm at right now, especially after looking at my tires this weekend when washing. But the tune is sooo inciting.

Decisions decisions...but dang...there is soooo much good info to sift through on this.