GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler versus upgraded stock location intercooler questions

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
hey guys bumping this thread. do any of you log your IAT's are cruising and WOT? curious to see what intercooler shows best temps.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I currently have an s3 intercooler possible looking to upgrade. I know on an 80 degree day I see ranges from 75-87 degrees. I currently am running one meth nozzle which drops the temps to 51-57 degrees. I do plan on running another nozzle pre TB. I am looking to see what intercooler will drop the temps before the w/m starts to work

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Technically, wouldn't WMI be cheaper, easier AND cooler tHan most setups? Also, don't some just use water for cooling without the meth?

On a side note, after installing my f23 and feeling the pathetically pliable oem piping...wouldn't a better hose kit alone be of some help?

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
what im trying to do is optimize the air going into the motor at the lowest temp possible, with the w/m of course would be more effective. the only hose I don't like since I have the s3 intercooler is the s3 hose on the hot side of the turbo it literally looks like an "S". I was thinking about cutting my oem hose.

I know everyone has their theory about a true front mount versus the "middle mount". I interested in seeing what the IAT look like on a true front mount in real world conditions.

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion
I was at the drag strip Friday night here in Dallas. My intake temp, after sitting in line for about 30 min, was 6° above ambient. It was 57° outside with 88% humidity and my intake temp was 63°. After my first pass my intake temps went to 1° above ambient. I'm running a neuspeed fmic. Temps were found using maestro's logging program. No water meth here.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
hey guys bumping this thread. do any of you log your IAT's are cruising and WOT? curious to see what intercooler shows best temps.

I've got the APR IC....when I'm under heavy acceleration, IAT's go way down, typically when I'm cruising, my IAT's are around 20 degrees above ambient. When I'm in commuter traffic, my IAT's can be double, if not more, ambient, and recovery time isn't so great when I can finally get to cruising speed.

I've read various comments where it's believed a FMIC, like Neuspeed, recovers from commuter traffic much quicker than a stock location IC.

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion
I've read various comments where it's believed a FMIC, like Neuspeed, recovers from commuter traffic much quicker than a stock location IC.
Of course a fmic is going to lower intake temps much faster than an intercooler stuck between the AC condenser and a radiator. Fmic is the first in line to receive the fresh ambient air. A sandwiched intercooler if getting sloppy seconds from the ac condenser.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
sloppy seconds lol

I can see how the front mount would benefit over the stock location. here in CA I can see up to 103 easy on a summer day. so a front mount would probably be my best interest at this point

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
sloppy seconds lol

I can see how the front mount would benefit over the stock location. here in CA I can see up to 103 easy on a summer day. so a front mount would probably be my best interest at this point

I disagree. My personal opinion is that a large-core, well-made sandwich mount intercooler is better than a small front mount core. Also, a front mount requires air to have a longer, more turbulent "ride" through the pipes... Which isn't wanted.

I am located in south Florida, where it's already 95 degrees (today). I have zero issues with heat soak with my EuroJet IC.

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion
I disagree. My personal opinion is that a large-core, well-made sandwich mount intercooler is better than a small front mount core. Also, a front mount requires air to have a longer, more turbulent "ride" through the pipes... Which isn't wanted.

I am located in south Florida, where it's already 95 degrees (today). I have zero issues with heat soak with my EuroJet IC.
Agreed, take 2 cores with the same cm^3 ones larger and thinner. And there other is more compact and thinker, the thinner should remove heat easier. However putting it between 2 objects kind of acts like insulation. Idk that's my thought process. Plus the main reasons I didn't go with a stock location ic 1) I already changed the stock out and that was hell. 2) I've always wanted a fmic 3) install with fmic was super easy 4) I got a killer deal from nodded euros for neuspeed 5) I didn't want/need a 600hp core intercooler. Again that is my thought process, others will differ I'm sure.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Just curious, but does anyone have the modshack hood mod? How much does it help if so?

You talking about trim up top of the firewall? If so, it does help vent out hot engine bay air when driving around....and I have felt hot air vent out when I parked. Modshack tests showed 40degree engine bay drop in temps. Not sure how much, if any, changes in intake temps due to increase of flowing air in engine bay.

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
Thank you for the break down and pics, very neat.

Im at work and cant see any pictures...?

or a post where they would be on page 4.

some help please.. thanks

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
You talking about trim up top of the firewall? If so, it does help vent out hot engine bay air when driving around....and I have felt hot air vent out when I parked. Modshack tests showed 40degree engine bay drop in temps. Not sure how much, if any, changes in intake temps due to increase of flowing air in engine bay.

Yes that, thank you for the correction. I have been thinking of getting that...40 degrees is 40 degrees though so why not right?