GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Revving Itself

id22

Passed Driver's Ed
Has the self revving issues been reoccuring though? Whenever mine hangs or self revs and I have the window down, I feel like I smell a burst of oil during those times. Did that happen for you as well?

Also once it self revs once, it seems to reoccur for me more frequently after that. Performance seems to be laggy at the low rpm range(1-3k) and really jerky for me.

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
I never noticed the smell....maybe because im catless and smell things constantly. But i do notice the jerky take offs. Im getting a diagnostic at VW saturday and hopefully i have some concrete answers.

id22

Passed Driver's Ed
Some more interesting news today. Temperature was about 90F for the afternoon drive and had the A/C on.

I noticed on the boost gauge that my normal idle would be around -22, but it was around -19.5 or so. Thought it was a bit weird and noticed later on in the drive where I would normally have the self revving symptoms that my car didn't self rev. I went to turn off the A/C to see what it would do and the boost gauge showed the -19.5 went down to the -22. I proceeded to the next light, went into neutral and there it was... self revving again. Then, I turned the A/C back on and everything was behaving better and no self revving.

Makes more sense to me now since I installed an aftermarket intake and 3" tbe last summer and didn't notice the symptoms until fall/winter because I had the A/C most of the time. Any possibility it's because I got a 3"tbe and I'm not tuned that's causing problems?

I'm not throwing out the fact it could still be the sensors not being clean though. Cleaner should be arriving tomorrow and checking if it helps the situation.

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
The vacuum being lower when the AC is on is normal. But that's interesting that it won't self rev with it on....I honestly don't know what correlation engine revving and a AC would have...def odd

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
So This morning it was about 65 degrees and my car was self revving....everytime it did it I turned on my AC and the rev's would drop to normal....Anyone have a theory?

id22

Passed Driver's Ed
Also forgot to mention that I have the same CAI as you. I never tried swapping back to the OEM intake to see if all the problems are stemming from the CAI.

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
Car is at the dealer right now...I explained it to one of the techs and he said he has noticed this on gti's....he says his theory is there's a Rev control Modula on the crank case that he thinks may be faulty on the gti....it was new to me I had no idea what that is but they are checking it now

id22

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmmm... hopefully they can fix the problem Mensurpj. I know how annoying this problem can be.

I went to search for how much a new IAT sensor would be... $54..... for that dinky little thing.... =(

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Car is at the dealer right now...I explained it to one of the techs and he said he has noticed this on gti's....he says his theory is there's a Rev control Modula on the crank case that he thinks may be faulty on the gti....it was new to me I had no idea what that is but they are checking it now

A rev control module? I would think the ECU does this...

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I have had this issue on my gti did a lot of info. What I found on my car that the person before me had a cbf cold air intake but my engine is a cta engine which I don't have a secondary filter. This being said I had to cap where the secondary hose is suppose to go and this STOPPED THE ENGINE REV. So I think all this has to do with MAF.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
VW techs are the best lol. The vast majority of them have no idea how these cars actually run. When my water pump was leaking, I brought the car in with the entire expansion tank almost devoid of coolant. When I spoke to the tech about what was wrong, he tried to claim the water pump was fine and that our turbos burn an entire tank of coolant every 5000 miles or so. He would not budge off this diagnosis. Of course, the next dealer found coolant all over the pump due to a major leak.

Point being, this "rev control module" probably isn't the issue. Whoever had this issue should look elsewhere.