GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gravel in my transmission?

mjstlwell

In 4th and 6th I now get a definite loose gravel sound from my transmission; dead quiet in the other gears.

There do not seem to be drivability issues and fuel economy has been as low as 4.3l/100km.

Acceleration is as expected and the noise is less in 6th and diminishes with the load.

Suggestions?

Already ruled out clutch and flywheel since the sound is definitely from the transmission.

Uberryan

Banned
Sounds like it could be synchros.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
In 4th and 6th I now get a definite loose gravel sound from my transmission; dead quiet in the other gears.

There do not seem to be drivability issues and fuel economy has been as low as 4.3l/100km.

Acceleration is as expected and the noise is less in 6th and diminishes with the load.

Suggestions?

Already ruled out clutch and flywheel since the sound is definitely from the transmission.
First things first, have you checked the fluid levels, 5th and 6th are physical smaller gears so they may not be getting oiled if the level is low and there are no pumps inside a manual transmission, so lubrication is a matter of the oil being thrown around which also decreases when the level is low.

You could have a bearing that support these gears going bad, which would explain less noise under load.

Last edited: