GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel change -- How retarded am I?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Yeah Johnny; 60 Ft-Lbs is way too low for wheel bolts; VW MK6 Golf/GTI OEM recommendation is 88 Ft-Lbs.

Go have them properly torque your wheels, or grab your torque wrench and do them yourself.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I also just got a decent 1/2" breaker bar and leave a 17mm deepwell permanently attached to it in the car. No need to also leave a torque wrench in the car IMO... you can always retorque when you get home.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I also just got a decent 1/2" breaker bar and leave a 17mm deepwell permanently attached to it in the car. No need to also leave a torque wrench in the car IMO... you can always retorque when you get home.

Why not lol? We have plenty of space under the carpet, and the weight is minimal :).

JhnR

Banned
I use the stock tool, and works fine for me.

Rascal

Ready to race!
After the shop rotated my wheels I could NOT get the lugs off with the stock wrench. I had a 6 foot plumbing pipe in my garage and slipped that over the stock wrench. I thought I was going to break something but the lugs came off :paddle:

Ordered a 24" breaker bar from Harbor Freight and carry that in the trunk. Of course that scissor jack, referred to as "the widow maker", still lurks in there.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
After the shop rotated my wheels I could NOT get the lugs off with the stock wrench.

Same, I tried it just for grins when I was changing my tires and quickly realized they were way too tight to use the stock wrench with any reasonable amount of force. Yeah I might have been able to get it loose if I had to on the side of the road, but they were definitely way too tight.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
When I saw the jack I just laughed at vw's half assed tool.

Golfmk6 on the go!

nik

Go Kart Champion
Since OP is in Canuckistan, Princess Auto = Harbor Freight :)

I have had this issue since I started using/ changing winters on my old car. I carry a 3-4 foot long piece of thick wall PVC pipe in my trunk at all times (though steel or the like would be better, but found it in my basement) and slip it over the factory wrench whenever I need to undo my bolts. It works wonders, and beats standing on the wrench and jumping on it. I always fear that approach may snap a bolt altogether.

JhnR

Banned
So speaking of jacks im gonna go buy one at Harbor Freight.. might be better than stock anyhow