GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official lightweight wheels thread

Roctre

Ready to race!
Picked up a used set of Neuspeed RSe05 17x8 +45 with the intention of using them for tracking. What tire would you recommend for track use? My car is lowered on Koni Coilovers, corner balanced as well, with all the other mods you see in my sig. I have seen recommendations for 235/45/17 size, but I am open to more or other suggestions. Brand included :) No rush to get the wheels wrapped, but want to start getting an idea of what I will want. Thanks.

I run 245/40/17 on mine and for the tires everyone raves about the Bridgestone RE-71 and the only really bad things I've heard about them is tire noise and they don't last super long.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Picked up a used set of Neuspeed RSe05 17x8 +45 with the intention of using them for tracking. What tire would you recommend for track use? My car is lowered on Koni Coilovers, corner balanced as well, with all the other mods you see in my sig. I have seen recommendations for 235/45/17 size, but I am open to more or other suggestions. Brand included :) No rush to get the wheels wrapped, but want to start getting an idea of what I will want. Thanks.
Firehawk indy 500's seem to be getting a good following for inexpensive yet very grippy tires. 235 width should be perfect for 8" wide wheels. Though 225 is a wide 225 from what I've read.

Big thread on them here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20140

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
9 it makes better use of the 245.

i would go with 8.5.

x2 on this, IMO

So this is where my OCD kicks in and I like to learn new things…. From reading around, there’s a rule of thumb to go 0.5” less than the maximum wheel size range stated for the tire of choice. If I was to choose a 245/40/17 RE71, the acceptable range is 8.0” – 9.5”, subtract the 0.5” and I’m at a 17x9 wheel.

Why 8.5” over 9.0”? Beefier, rolled donut tire look on the 8.5” or is there a performance gain? With the 8.5” I would assume slightly better straight line traction due to tirewall flex from the tire sidewall being wider than the wheel width. With the 9” I would assume better handling due to the straighter, boxed sidewall tire.

Someone school me on 8.5” vs. 9” on a 245 series tire…. Gracias.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
my rule of thump is 1" over. That's why oem 7.5s come with a 225, 8s come with a 235, 8.5 with a 245, etc. it makes the tire square while a 245 on a 9 will be a slight stretch. you could really get away with it on an 8 but it's all personal preference. i try to put the widest tire on the smallest wheel to maximize grip and minimize weight.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
my rule of thump is 1" over. That's why oem 7.5s come with a 225, 8s come with a 235, 8.5 with a 245, etc. it makes the tire square while a 245 on a 9 will be a slight stretch. you could really get away with it on an 8 but it's all personal preference. i try to put the widest tire on the smallest wheel to maximize grip and minimize weight.

looks like 8.5" then, I don't want a stretched look, would prefer the beefier look but again all about function.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
looks like 8.5" then, I don't want a stretched look, would prefer the beefier look but again all about function.

You *might* notice better steering response out of the 9" wide wheel with a 245, but really...... probably not. Whether or not it looks slightly stretched or perfectly square on the 9" wide wheel is probably going to come down to the specific tire you go with. On the 8.5 some tires might look pinched.

*edit* - either wheel width works well with a 245. I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
245 is perfect sizing for the 8.5" width.

Generally it goes like this if you want vertical sidewalls and rim protection:
7.5" = 225
8.0" = 235
8.5" = 245

And so on. Granted there are other variables that could alter those figures, but it's a fairly good rule of thumb to follow for OEM sizing :cool:

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Does having light weight wheels prevent wheel hop on tires with a lot of grip for example summer tires or drag radials? Trying to decide what to purchase.

Last edited:

Roctre

Ready to race!
Does having light weight wheels prevent wheel hop on tires with a lot of grip for example summer tires or drag radials? Trying to decide what to purchase.

I still have bad wheel hop after getting light weight wheels with 245/40/17s on them but the best thing for wheel hop is mounts to my knowledge.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

It won't prevent wheelhop, but it'll change the frequency/amplitude of it (higher frequency, lower amplitude). If you've upgraded your dampers they might have an easier time controlling it.

Wheelhop is typically a function of toe deflection.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I still have bad wheel hop after getting light weight wheels with 245/40/17s on them but the best thing for wheel hop is mounts to my knowledge.

It won't prevent wheelhop, but it'll change the frequency/amplitude of it (higher frequency, lower amplitude). If you've upgraded your dampers they might have an easier time controlling it.

Wheelhop is typically a function of toe deflection.

Thanks for your help i guess im going to have to get mounts no way around it.