GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failing Engine mount??

ben_m

Ready to race!
I replaced my engine air filter yesterday and went to start up the car to make sure everything was tightened down correctly and noticed that the engine seemed to shake a lot even after it warmed up an idle settled.

Is this an indication that one of the mounts is on its way out? Car has like 52k on it. Anything else I can pay attention to try and isolate the mount?

11gti718

Ready to race!
How’s the idle and revs, are they operating normal ? Also, rev the engine and have someone check the engine and see if it jerks forward. I think the person said to scan it first to rule out any possibilty that it might be something else causing the engine to shake.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
How’s the idle and revs, are they operating normal ? Also, rev the engine and have someone check the engine and see if it jerks forward. I think the person said to scan it first to rule out any possibilty that it might be something else causing the engine to shake.

This...I was thinking possible misfires? Could show up as a soft code hidden because it’s not a continuing issue at the moment. Otherwise having a buddy watch the engine during revs and gear changing from PRNDS or just revs and going to reverse in a manual and moving a bit in your driveway or wherever.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
What else did you do while you were under the hood?

Recheck all your work. Make sure the MAF is plugged in. Make sure nithing is blocking the air flow. Check the intake tract all the way to the turbo.

ben_m

Ready to race!
I'm guessing a scan gauge won't be enough to detect things like Misfires? Especially w/o a CEL present. Only time I inspected was at idle startup/warm. MAF is fine, I only opened the airbox to get to the filter. Car seems to drive fine.

Only other car I have to compare to is G35 and that engine seems rocks solid in place at Idle. Could it also mean I'm getting due for a carbon cleaning? The top engine mount seems pretty solid, perhaps the dogbone mount on the underneath?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I'm guessing a scan gauge won't be enough to detect things like Misfires? Especially w/o a CEL present. Only time I inspected was at idle startup/warm. MAF is fine, I only opened the airbox to get to the filter. Car seems to drive fine.

Only other car I have to compare to is G35 and that engine seems rocks solid in place at Idle. Could it also mean I'm getting due for a carbon cleaning? The top engine mount seems pretty solid, perhaps the dogbone mount on the underneath?

It might depend on the type of scan tool but why not try. Start there and make sure there’s no codes. Then assess from there. Could be pendulum related. PCV is also known for causing rough idle if the valve gets stuck. Should show on a scan though.

ben_m

Ready to race!
It might depend on the type of scan tool but why not try. Start there and make sure there’s no codes. Then assess from there. Could be pendulum related. PCV is also known for causing rough idle if the valve gets stuck. Should show on a scan though.

Ok I'll try it tonight, actual idle seems ok, more like engine shaking excessively.