GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

MK6_EF9

Ready to race!
Our preferred package for the 2011 would be 205/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 16x6.5 steelies. The total would be $720 plus shipping and any applicable taxes (quoted without tire pressure sensors which run $53.00 each if you need them)

Great! Thank you for the response. :w00t:

waffleman

Ready to race!
What do you all recommend for a 2010 GTI 4 door with the 19 inch wheels? (Could not find on tire rack site) Do you need sensors? All you have to do is switch the tires correct?? (similar procedure as one would put a spare if had a flat)
Dilema.....sport tires or excuse to get the 2012 R with 4 wd....which would do better in snow?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
What do you all recommend for a 2010 GTI 4 door with the 19 inch wheels? (Could not find on tire rack site) Do you need sensors? All you have to do is switch the tires correct?? (similar procedure as one would put a spare if had a flat)
Dilema.....sport tires or excuse to get the 2012 R with 4 wd....which would do better in snow?

In your case, I would probably minus size all the way down to a 16" and go with a wheel and tire package (for 19" you would have to go with 235/35R19 which may rub under full suspension compression). You could spend similar money and have a dedicated set to keep your 19" in good shape. Any excuse for an R is a good one! :)

A good set of studless ice and snow on your GTI will be comparable to an AWD equipped vehicle.

In Pennsylvania a working TPMS system is not required by law. Most people go without sensors on winter packages.

Sonny

Last edited:

waffleman

Ready to race!
In your case, I would probably minus size all the way down to a 16" and go with a wheel and tire package (for 19" you would have to go with 235/35R19 which may rub under full suspension compression). You could spend similar money and have a dedicated set to keep your 19" in good shape. Any excuse for an R is a good one! :)

A good set of studless ice and snow on your GTI will be comparable to an AWD equipped vehicle.

In Pennsylvania a working TPMS system is not required by law. Most people go without sensors on winter packages.

Sonny

Ok. Is this what you would recommend then?

(1) Set of 4 - KT962 Style 16" ABS
Price: $40.00 for 1
(4) New Steel Wheel 16X6.5 Black Painted
Price: $224.00 for 4
(4) 205/55R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Price: $496.00 for 4
(these would qualify for the $50 rebate , correct?)

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Ok. Is this what you would recommend then?

(1) Set of 4 - KT962 Style 16" ABS
Price: $40.00 for 1
(4) New Steel Wheel 16X6.5 Black Painted
Price: $224.00 for 4
(4) 205/55R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Price: $496.00 for 4
(these would qualify for the $50 rebate , correct?)

That is our preferred package. There are of course other options for alloys if you prefer. Yes sir, that would be eligible for the $50 mail in rebate.

Sonny

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Why the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds
over all other snows for the preferred package?

Our engineers try to match the tire to the specific application (sportier vehicles will often be paired with performance ice and snow tires) taking into account what the vehicle is capable of. There are certainly other tires out there that will work as good, but for a mix of price and performance, the Dunlop is excellent. If you live in an area that is poorly plowed and don't care how the tires handle on dry pavement (Buick-esque to coin a phrase), there are better options like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 or the Michelin X-ice Xi2 that are better tires to get you through worse conditions.

Last edited:

exsuby

Our preferred package for the 2011 would be 205/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 16x6.5 steelies. The total would be $720 plus shipping and any applicable taxes (quoted without tire pressure sensors which run $53.00 each if you need them)

Do the steelies have the correct offset and do I need to buy lugbolts and centering rings?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
I can't pin what the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tires are. The description indicates that its not necessarily a 'snowbelt' tire, but yet its a winter/snow tire? The price looks real good and I've been thinking about picking up 2 sets (one for me, one for the wife). I live in Indianapolis where we don't get as much snow as South Bend. Thoughts?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I can't pin what the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tires are. The description indicates that its not necessarily a 'snowbelt' tire, but yet its a winter/snow tire? The price looks real good and I've been thinking about picking up 2 sets (one for me, one for the wife). I live in Indianapolis where we don't get as much snow as South Bend. Thoughts?

They are dedicated winter/snow tires. I think this may have to do with the wording in the description you read on our site. "The Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II was developed with the philosophy that winter / snow tires must perform in a variety of unpredictable weather conditions and aren't just for use in the snowbelt states." The tires are meant to be suitable for areas that experience a variety of winter season weather conditions: slush, snow, ice, dry roads in freezing or near freezing temperatures.

kniteshift

Ready to race!
year: 2012
make: vw
model: gti
tires only or winter package: winter package

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
year: 2012
make: vw
model: gti
tires only or winter package: winter package

Being from the Bay area, I assume you make some trips to Tahoe (correct?). If this is the case, I would probably go with a performance winter tire such as the one in our preferred package, Dunlop Winter Sport 3D or perhaps the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. The performance winter tire will give you the benefit of far better snow and ice traction than an all-season while still maintaining decent dry road handling (which will probably be what you encounter a majority of the time).

ppchiu

Would I need to get my car rebalanced if I buy a set of winters with dedicated rims? I'm looking at buying a 16" package and I'm currently on 18" stock wheels

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hi ppchiu, welcome to GolfMk6 and yay for a local Vancouverite as well!

No need for rebalancing if you get a dedicated set of wheels and tires. Only need that when tires are mounted/dismounted.