GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My trunk setup. Another stealth-audio, with a twist.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Cleaned it up today, if you ever work with plexiglass use a mappgas torch and clean up the edges, it looks 1000x better. Except I scratched the schit out of it with a dremel. :(

to bad you are not closer, i could show you a bunch of plexi tricks. i have made tons of stuff from plexi.

tattoo vehicle i built, its all built out of black plexi:

steering wheel in a boat i did:

simple porsche plate i made and laser etched, took a sub control apart and flush mounted it:

3 12 inch subs inverted in the box of a boat, plexi enclosure, and plexi covers and lit in CCFL :

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
believe it or not, i have. I have had a few of my builds on tv.......if you watched the car shows a few years ago im pretty sure you have seen one or a few of them. Some were really rushed, some of the others i did as i was asked........... lol

kimsballs

Ready to race!
ok, so any way to fix a scratch, or remove plexiglass adhesive? Those are really my only issues that may cause me to redo it. I didn't realize how runny the adhesive was, and it ran into one corner. Then I gouged it sanding it before i torched it.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
you can always wetsnd it, but if it is in a corner, that will be really hard to do. I dont like the torch method usually. I have tried it in the past and you run a risk. The only time i really used a torch is on like 3/4 inch plexi and usually on the outer edges. I used my router to do round overs or angles, then sand by hand. then wet sand it, then i hit it with plexi polish. Yes it takes longer, but it allows less chance of ruining the plexi.

www.mobilesolutions-usa.com is where i get product from. I know the owner and if you think i did some cool stuff, you should see his work!!! Makes mine look like a 5 year old did it. He does do some trainings and has some DIY stuff available. He is super cool and loves to teach his skill.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
My work on plexiglass didn't require looks to be priority, so no comment on how fussy it can get... But if I had access to my work tools I'd find a way to keep the router/dremel steady so that I could move the piece around the tool. I find it's easier to get a clean cut whatever it is I'm working on.

OH! I did buff some plexiglass to a mirror finish though. With the dremel, use the fabric disk and buffing clay to get a nice shine after a 600 grit wet sand. Should work okay on that corner, too! As long as you don't let the bit stay in one spot too long - you don't want to melt the plexiglass. Sometimes heat marks are uglier than chips. Try a few samples first

kimsballs

Ready to race!
Sorry to bump my shit, but looking for more info on if the speaker touching the grill will hurt the sub in anyway, it still "travels" but i'm worried.

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
Now i love a stealth box but most should be stealth and not seen, but two thumbs up on what you have achieved. It looks great and best of all your doing it your self. Just can't be the feeling of knowing you did it yourself.

I have a few simple things that may help with your plexi work. If you get any scratches or imperfections most headlight refurbish kits will clean it up like new. Wetsanding and buffing but if you don't have the tools the headlight kits are best and cheapest way to go.
For your etching. Bestthing i have found is using viny for your stencil go to a vinyl store and have your image cut in negative. Now for the secret tool... I use a harbor freight 7$ airbrush sand blaster. It works like a charm and gives a perfect etchd finish. Takes a few tools but your end product is 1st Class. But all in all you have done a great job.

PhD has steller advice on the subject aswell, one of the few that actually knows his shit, atleast from my lurking it seems that way lol.

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
ANd yes if your speaker is hitting the grille over time it can create a problem. Even if its in a small spot it can cause damage after repetitive use, especially if it is the baffle, but if it is just touching by a small bit see if you can use a few washers and raise the grille to clear the baffle, then if there is a small gap from grille to box you can use a small weather strip or something that will afix to the grille round. But that is an easy fix, and wont usualy hurt the speaker if you catch the problem quick enuff.

Sorry for the short essay answer lol.

kimsballs

Ready to race!
Now i love a stealth box but most should be stealth and not seen, but two thumbs up on what you have achieved. It looks great and best of all your doing it your self. Just can't be the feeling of knowing you did it yourself.
Forgive me if I gave the wrong impression, Nik from http://www.uberstealthaudio.com built the box. (And a huge thanks to him for his March Madness sale) Although it looks like he has a new setup for MK6's.

This went from a stealth, I originally built the wood piece, and the plexiglass box, just to support the subfloor so it wouldn't press in if I put groceries, or suitcases or chit on it. Then I decided to "finish" it and make it look better and use it as my actual trunk setup.

Thanks all for the advice, and praise.

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
lol i was actually impressed the most with the way you integrated the plexi, speaker grille, and false floor, i personaly think it would look awsome if the whole floor was raised to the height of the back hatch. That would give you plenty of extra storage space asell by raising the floor 5 or so inches.

kimsballs

Ready to race!
lol i was actually impressed the most with the way you integrated the plexi, speaker grille, and false floor, i personaly think it would look awsome if the whole floor was raised to the height of the back hatch. That would give you plenty of extra storage space asell by raising the floor 5 or so inches.

I don't really understand why you would want to do this, as it currently sits, it's 1/4 inch higher than stock, and still has spare tire, and tool kit under it. I guess if you wanted to store things under it, yeah.