GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
My friend had an extra 3inch hi-flow catalytic converter laying around at work.

I was wondering if anybody knew how it'd affect the engine if I cut out the stock one and welded it where the stock cat was; will it be harmful?
I am not tuned, but am considering it.

Also, if I were to get tuned, could I run on the stage 1 tune with a downpipe?

(Skeptical about running higher boost due to the fact that I have high miles and have read about all the problems).

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Won't really do anything. Your stock DP has two 800 cell cats(or was it 600). After market DP usually have either one 200 cell or one 400 cell. You'll basically be running one 800 and one 200/400 which ever it is.

Not like it matters too much the stock DP is a different OD than 3"

Probably won't change much compared to any other Stage 1 car.

How many miles is high?

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
Won't really do anything. Your stock DP has two 800 cell cats(or was it 600). After market DP usually have either one 200 cell or one 400 cell. You'll basically be running one 800 and one 200/400 which ever it is.

How many miles is high?

coming up on 70k

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
coming up on 70k

I wouldn't think you have much to worry about here if you have PROPERLY maintained the car (ie: doing more than VW scheduled maintenance. 5k changes instead of 10k, replacing components stressed by extra boost early, etc).

I know of a local guy with an MK4 GTI around 160k miles with a frankenstein BT setup. He's had minimal problems but is starting to worry.

These cars are solid, from what I've seen and read, if PROPERLY MAINTAINED. Especially if you're playing safe with APR's tunes. Otherwise, I'm screwed. Bought my MK6 in April and I've already got 9k miles on it because of work (IT Consultant). I'm stage 1 and planning K04. I plan on keeping the car until 80-90k. I change my oil every 5k and I'll be replacing stressed components (PCV valve, DV, etc) in double recommended intervals.

However, if do tune I would be sure to go ahead and replace PCV valve and DV valve at least before tuning. Check your turbo pipings and couplers too for wear and make sure they're all nice and tite (TOP, IC end tanks, etc). If something is going to pop it will probably happen right after the tune but you can approach this correctly and should be pretty safe.

Last edited:

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
have you encountered any issues with the car during the 70k miles outside of normal maintenance?

The only issues were the water pump squeal and melted fusebox.
(both common problems, water pump was covered, fusebox wasn't).

I bought the car used when it had 27k miles a year ago; I'm just trying not to push my luck lol.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
43k miles in a year?!?!?! yeaaaa i wouldn't mod either. not worth it if you keep that mileage up.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk witg erroes

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion

I'm just wondering if it's safe; i have civic and sti friends that tune as well, but not pre-mapped apr style tunes; they literally have to tune for every modification.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
tune is pretty safe, especially the fact that its off the shelf. thousands of people have the same tune and very little problems coming directly from the tunes themselves. they are made based on factory specs specifically for your engine. now if you do 45k a year, i would definitely be on top of maintenance if you plan to keep the car for a few more years.