GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter

DenverFlash

With my 2010 GTI manual shifter, changing from 5th to 6th gear often ends up in 4th. Anyone have that problem? I have to push to the right when coming down from 5th, or it downshifts. Is this adjustable? Does Hurst or others make an aftermarket shifter?

anotherfiz

Ready to race!
I had this issue, the GTI is my first 6speed, i only had 5speeds to begin with . This is something that you will get used to within the first 1k miles of driving

Marvin

Ready to race!
With my 2010 GTI manual shifter, changing from 5th to 6th gear often ends up in 4th. Anyone have that problem? I have to push to the right when coming down from 5th, or it downshifts. Is this adjustable? Does Hurst or others make an aftermarket shifter?

Having only ever driven manual gearboxes over 55 years of driving things like this are second nature to me. What I describe below of course applies to LHD cars such asthose driven in the US.
When, in neutral, you will find that there is a spring loaded action, requiring the US driver to pull left against a spring to enter the 1st/2nd gear plane otherwise the 3rd/4th plane would naturally be chosen.
Similarly, to enter the 5th/6th plane, the US driver needs to push the gear lever to the right, against a spring.Therefore it is obvious that when changing from 5th to 6th gear the US driver needs to keep pressure on the gear lever stick, to the right, otherwise it would naturally want to enter the 3rd/4th plane and you'd enter up in 4th gear.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Having only ever driven manual gearboxes over 55 years of driving things like this are second nature to me. What I describe below of course applies to LHD cars such asthose driven in the US.
When, in neutral, you will find that there is a spring loaded action, requiring the US driver to pull left against a spring to enter the 1st/2nd gear plane otherwise the 3rd/4th plane would naturally be chosen.
Similarly, to enter the 5th/6th plane, the US driver needs to push the gear lever to the right, against a spring.Therefore it is obvious that when changing from 5th to 6th gear the US driver needs to keep pressure on the gear lever stick, to the right, otherwise it would naturally want to enter the 3rd/4th plane and you'd enter up in 4th gear.

:word:

Nefilim

Ready to race!
It's all in the pressure you put into your wrist when shifting. Push it away from you hard and it'll slide down into sixth.

Now, Reverse/First gear is what always scares me. I always fear I'm going to drive into a building on accident one of these days from lack of pressure.

Speaking of which, are right-hand-drive cars set up as:

1-3-5
2-4-6

or

5-3-1
6-4-2

Marvin

Ready to race!
It's all in the pressure you put into your wrist when shifting. Push it away from you hard and it'll slide down into sixth.

Now, Reverse/First gear is what always scares me. I always fear I'm going to drive into a building on accident one of these days from lack of pressure.

Speaking of which, are right-hand-drive cars set up as:

1-3-5
2-4-6

or

5-3-1
6-4-2

The first of your two diagrams, i.e.
1 3 5
¦¬¦¬¦
2 4 6

By the way, what does the smilie :word: mean?

Nefilim

Ready to race!
1 3 5
¦¬¦¬¦
2 4 6

"Word"

And I would feel kind of weird driving a Euro car now that I think about it. Maybe I'll just get a DSG if I have to move out there.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
"Word"

And I would feel kind of weird driving a Euro car now that I think about it. Maybe I'll just get a DSG if I have to move out there.

Trust me dude it really is not that bad learning to drive a RHD. I have lived in a RHD country for 4 years now and I thought the same thing. Then I bought a RHD manual car at first it took some thinking but after about a week it was like I never drove a LHD in my life. But now when I go to the states I have the problem of driving on the wrong side of the road when I come out of parking lots and what not. Other than that the transition is not really that hard.

Marvin

Ready to race!
1 3 5
¦¬¦¬¦
2 4 6

Yes, I realise that but what does that imply - is it sarcasm or what?

:)

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Word

1) well said 2)said in a agreement 3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

or

A versatile declaration, originating (more or less) in hip-hop culture.

"Word" has no single meaning, but is used to convey a casual sense of affirmation, acknowledgement, agreement, or to indicate that something has impressed you favorably.

Marvin

Ready to race!
Word

1) well said 2)said in a agreement 3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

or

A versatile declaration, originating (more or less) in hip-hop culture.

"Word" has no single meaning, but is used to convey a casual sense of affirmation, acknowledgement, agreement, or to indicate that something has impressed you favorably.
Thanks for that. Please excuse a septuagenarian's ignorance.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
No worries ;)

As for the shifting, I'd agree that the 6spd made me think for the first month

I had slight issues hitting 3rd sometime but 6th was never a problem. Every MT I own seems to have it's own quirks. They are all VW's though so mainly I just have to think about which direction reverse is since it's different between half of them ;)

bryanmn1

Ready to race!
This is the first time I've owned a Manual Transmission car, so I didn't really think about shifting into 6th gear that much. I just continue to push over to the right when I'm shifting from 5th to 6th.

Now.. when I shift into first gear, I'm always wondering if I could possibly be in reverse...

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Now.. when I shift into first gear, I'm always wondering if I could possibly be in reverse...

Just make sure you aren't putting that much pressure on the stick when you shift normally. It should be very light hand pressure when shifting gears. Reverse is the only one that should have noticable pressure to actually seat the shifter below the shift plate to hit reverse.

bryanmn1

Ready to race!
Just make sure you aren't putting that much pressure on the stick when you shift normally. It should be very light hand pressure when shifting gears. Reverse is the only one that should have noticable pressure to actually seat the shifter below the shift plate to hit reverse.

I totally agree. But, the beginner stick shift experience puts doubt in me. :)