GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot SUper Sport

thez99

Go Kart Champion
This sounds bogus, literally the first ever bad review I've seen for these. I've owned a set as well on my previous Audi AND bmw 135i, both sets were fantastic. NOT noisy at all, great performing and NOT harsh. This has to be a mess up from the distributor perhaps. Did you get them from Tirerack? Sorry if this was already answered..:iono:

peterbg16

Ready to race!
I honestly don't know what you expect with the tread rating/grip rating and all season that they offer.

All tires with this type of performance in all weather will make more noise and you will feel more bumps. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and they are by far the best tires I have ever bought.

They rival the Super Sports and even beat them in some reviews. They are also noisier than stock and you feel quite a bit more of the road, especially during breaking.

If you want a softer ride with less feel then go for Continental DWS or Hancook Ventus S1 Noble2. I have had both and both are very good in all weather performance and comfort. Grip can't rival Eagle F1s or Super Sports, but it's good.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Can't say, I've never driven on DWs. Around SE MI they feel pretty harsh, but so does stock and even my winters...

I went with the DW's since I know they have a softer sidewall

The Bridgestone RE970's were waaaaay too stiff (and heavy @ 28lbs/tire)

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting my PSS installed this morning :happyanim:, will report back. Hard to get worse than Sumi HTRZ-III's that should have been swapped out 5k miles ago :laugh:

butchered by autocorrecr

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
I got the 225/40/18 running them at 38 psi and they ride great! Not noisy at all.
Best tires I've ever had on any of my cars during 37 year of driving.
Only down side is their price.

OP has a 2009 GTI...a mk5.... Might that have something to do with the loud noise vs those of you with PSSs on mk6s etc?

I know the mk6 has more deadening in the rear quarters and wheels wells/ as well as thicker glass all around.

I recall having an mk5 with stock Bridgestones.... Oh dear, the loud road noise between 10 and 40 mph was unbearable past 20k miles of wear

Last edited:

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
OP has a 2009 GTI...a mk5.... Might that have something to do with the loud noise vs those of you with PSSs on mk6s etc?

I know the mk6 has more deadening in the rear quarters and wheels wells/ as well as thicker glass all around.

I recall having an mk5 with stock Bridgestones.... Oh dear, the loud road noise between 10 and 40 mph was unbearable past 20k miles of wear

NO, I hear no noise out the tires because of the Borla catback exhaust!:D

Mike A.

Ready to race!
My PSS's are amazing. Nice and quiet and tons of grip!

Now...driving in the snow is another story. I drove into work today (Northern Va) just when the snow was picking up. I was barely able to get up some of the hills that I didn't even notice were hills in the past! As in 1% grade...maybe.. :eek:

ForzaGTI

Ready to race!
500 miles at least.

butchered by autocorrecr

^ This.

Not to sound like an a$$ but you owned that many cars, so you should know that the tires need some softening and that you bought tires that have a low rating for comfort and road noise.

Michelin website has a rating (out of 10) for every aspect of the tire...like handling, comfort, etc...

Plus it also really depends on what kind of roads you are driving on.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
My PSS's are amazing. Nice and quiet and tons of grip!

Now...driving in the snow is another story. I drove into work today (Northern Va) just when the snow was picking up. I was barely able to get up some of the hills that I didn't even notice were hills in the past! As in 1% grade...maybe.. :eek:

Why the hell were you driving in snow with PSS's...

Mike A.

Ready to race!
Why the hell were you driving in snow with PSS's...

Because I used horrible judgement! :D

I kept meaning to order a set of winter wheels/tires...before I knew it January was here and I was driving to work in snow. Opps..

Ordered a set of 17" wheels with Blizzaks. They were delivered today, installed them this evening and just hit some snow covered back roads. Holy crap these tires are incredible in the snow! Can't wait for our next snow to hit some fresh powder!

But I am looking forward to putting the PSS's back on when spring hits. :thumbup:

Winoman

Ready to race!
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and they are by far the best tires I have ever bought.

They rival the Super Sports and even beat them in some reviews. .

I run Super Sports on my GTI (summer...not now) on 18" wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1s (on 19" wheels) on my Audi - both are great tires and very comparable. I give a slight edge to the Super Sports - but difficult to directly compare as dynamics of each car are so different.

Wintertime I ride with Vredstein Wintrac extremes which are absolutely fantastic and in many ways loose little to either summer performance tire as hard as that may be to believe. Yes there is a difference in ultimate grip - but not nearly as much as one might think and they are better than any all season I've ever run.

The Super Sports are much grippier than the Hankook Ventus tires that were previously on the GTI though they are a bit noisier - but not bad at all. I find the rides for both the Super Sports and the Goodyear Eagles to be fine and not as harsh as some other high performance tires I've ridden on - though Hankooks were a bit smoother.

RABBIT FUR

Ready to race!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting my PSS installed this morning :happyanim:, will report back. Hard to get worse than Sumi HTRZ-III's that should have been swapped out 5k miles ago [emoji23]

butchered by autocorrecr
Wealp I said I'd update and I never did. But now that I have 10k+ miles on them I should probably turn in ;)

They're great tires. They're not all that loud for what they are, but certainly they're not too quiet. They don't have the accuracy or the feel of the HTRZ-III. They're a tad muted, but not really muted like an A/S tire is. The best part though is the grip. The front grip is so good it makes the car feel much less than the front-biased weight that it is. For performance on the track they're brilliant - the car hasn't felt this fun with either the stock Perellis or the HTRZ-III. There's a lot to be said for their wet weather performance, too. They can find grip at the bottom of a pond.