GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil level on dipstick still low after Oil Change?

AutobahnRider

Hi Guys, just did my first oil change on my 2012 VW GTI. I just changed the oil and filter but the oil level on the dipstick is still on the lower end of range B. I added the whole 5qts of castrol 0w40 oil. Manual said capacity is about 4.9 but it's still low on the dipstick. Is it because I change the filter as well? FYI, car is leveled and no leaks visible. Should I add more oil? Or just leave it be? Thank you!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
when i pour all 5 qts in my dipstick is well into the full meter almost to much. Have you checked it a few more times after wiping it clean?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
can you take a pic of the dipstick too. would like to see a visual representation of it.

Uberryan

Banned
is the engine cold?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
is op still here or just not worried about the problem anymore?

Uberryan

Banned
Few mins? Go drive it around, shut it off, wait 5 mins, then check it. There's no where for the oil to go unless you have a leak, and we're talking something obvious.

You can pull off the charge piping and see how much oil you find around the intercooler, but I doubt it's 2qts worth.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
did you put some of it in the windshield washer reservoir accidentally? very common problem

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
did you put some of it in the windshield washer reservoir accidentally? very common problem
i cant tell if you are serious or not...

But to OP as long as its in the middle you are good on oil.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

Yup! However.... every time I do my own oil change with 5 liters of LiquidMoly or Motul, my dipstick reads a little over full... like a little past the perforation on the dipstick.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yup! However.... every time I do my own oil change with 5 liters of LiquidMoly or Motul, my dipstick reads a little over full... like a little past the perforation on the dipstick.
mine too. but as long as its in the perforations is perfectly fine.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

LOL at this point I'm a little disappointed