GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 golf TDI UG
Roof

Has anyone ever plasti dipped their roof? If did you use spray cans or what method? Have any pics of the results? Was playing around with the idea until I can wrap it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
dubmk6_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
There is a guy in Hillsborough NJ who wrapped mine for $170. He is very popular on BMW and higher end car forums. PM for contact info if you want. I also have a thread with pics and a small write up of the quality of his work. He did an awesome job and everytime I have been to his place there is some kind if exotic there getting paint protection and tint.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
There is a guy in Hillsborough NJ who wrapped mine for $170. He is very popular on BMW and higher end car forums. PM for contact info if you want. I also have a thread with pics and a small write up of the quality of his work. He did an awesome job and everytime I have been to his place there is some kind if exotic there getting paint protection and tint.
Yea hillsborough jersey is a little far for me unfortunately

Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Elchinophil
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 12 CW 2RD R , 15 CG 4DR GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmk6_ewok View Post
Has anyone ever plasti dipped their roof? If did you use spray cans or what method? Have any pics of the results? Was playing around with the idea until I can wrap it.

I can't imagine this to be hard at all. Just tape up your areas. Spray 1 lite coat following by several. I have 6 layers on my wheels. holds up very well and takes about 2 weeks to cure. I think 2 cans will cover your roof entirely fine.

You may also want to add some glossifer to it unless you want the straight matte black look.

If you don't like it over a week. just peel it off. on a roof it'll peel with no troubles at all

If you do gloss. add 1 lite and then 2-3 heavy coats.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinophil View Post
I can't imagine this to be hard at all. Just tape up your areas. Spray 1 lite coat following by several. I have 6 layers on my wheels. holds up very well and takes about 2 weeks to cure. I think 2 cans will cover your roof entirely fine.

You may also want to add some glossifer to it unless you want the straight matte black look.

If you don't like it over a week. just peel it off. on a roof it'll peel with no troubles at all

If you do gloss. add 1 lite and then 2-3 heavy coats.
Yea I don't think it will be very hard I just wanted to more or less see the look of it

Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
GTI Jake
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Mk7 GTI
I wrapped my gti flat black, then white, then black again. Good 3M wrapping vinyl is key or you're gonna have a bad time.

As for dip I did my buddies Evo X twice. I agree with the above light coats then heavy coats but wait the recommended half hour between for best results. We did six coats and it still looks great after almost a year now. Never tried a spray gun but it seems to work better than cans.

In the end vinyl costs a little more but IMO looks better. Either way how you use it will make the differance
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Carbon Steel
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Carbon Steel Gray 2010 GTI (6/1/10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmk6_ewok View Post

Why screw with beautiful quality shiny paint job?

2010 CSG GTI, 18" Detroits W/Summer Tires, Autobahn Package, DSG,RNS510 Touch Screen Nav, GTI Mat Kit,
2013 Red Turbo Beetle, Sun, Sound and Navigation, Red and Black Leather interior
Carbon Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI Jake View Post
I wrapped my gti flat black, then white, then black again. Good 3M wrapping vinyl is key or you're gonna have a bad time.

As for dip I did my buddies Evo X twice. I agree with the above light coats then heavy coats but wait the recommended half hour between for best results. We did six coats and it still looks great after almost a year now. Never tried a spray gun but it seems to work better than cans.

In the end vinyl costs a little more but IMO looks better. Either way how you use it will make the differance
I'm stoked to hear this. I may give it a try this weekend. If I don't like it ill just take it off

Old 10-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Elchinophil
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 12 CW 2RD R , 15 CG 4DR GTI
by the way , if your going to use can. do yourself a favor and invest in the spray hand and save your fingers . Also allows better flow of the spray . Also one tip when using dip. When you begin spraying again. ALWAYS spray against a newspaper or a scrap cardboard or you'll get blotching ( when the dip hasn't been used in a few minutes, there's a little build up) when you press the trigger again it sends excess dip out so you want to avoid that) You can get the spray handler at Home Depot or lowes for a few dollars. It works on any spray can . I had to put a piece of wood in mine as it didn't fully extend to reach the dip spray nob.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_284850-90-241526_0__
Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
luv my dub76
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 mk6 gti autobahn
Why , save your money and wrap it
Its what you want to do anyway
To each their own , but plastic dip looks cheap and ugly

GTI license plate frame (1hp)
Getting vw tire valve covers soon for those extra 10hp , just saving my $$$$$$

RIP 09 MKV CW , miss the car everyday
luv my dub76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Plastidip can look really good when applied properly, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job just because I prefer my roof to have a true gloss finish and you can't get that with the glossifier. I'd go the vinyl route if I were you. It's a bit more expensive than Plastidip, but it looks really good, lasts a long time, is completely reversible and still much cheaper than paint.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
luv my dub76
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 mk6 gti autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd View Post
Plastidip can look really good when applied properly, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job just because I prefer my roof to have a true gloss finish and you can't get that with the glossifier. I'd go the vinyl route if I were you. It's a bit more expensive than Plastidip, but it looks really good, lasts a long time, is completely reversible and still much cheaper than paint.
Very few people get it right

GTI license plate frame (1hp)
Getting vw tire valve covers soon for those extra 10hp , just saving my $$$$$$

RIP 09 MKV CW , miss the car everyday
luv my dub76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinophil View Post
by the way , if your going to use can. do yourself a favor and invest in the spray hand and save your fingers . Also allows better flow of the spray . Also one tip when using dip. When you begin spraying again. ALWAYS spray against a newspaper or a scrap cardboard or you'll get blotching ( when the dip hasn't been used in a few minutes, there's a little build up) when you press the trigger again it sends excess dip out so you want to avoid that) You can get the spray handler at Home Depot or lowes for a few dollars. It works on any spray can . I had to put a piece of wood in mine as it didn't fully extend to reach the dip spray nob.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_284850-90-241526_0__
Yes I was planning on getting that wish I has it when I dipped my wheels

Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
dubmk6_ewok
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd View Post
Yea I sometimes wonder about wrap as well because on the tdi you have a short stubby spoiler so I wasn't sure how to tie that in with the roof without looking awkward. At least with dip I can spray the top of it and make it look clean