GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #71
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
i didn't care for the X either. my fav was the 9. but mitsubishi is as dead as circuit city now anyways. i rather get a TT-RS or an RS3 but i'm a euro car type of guy.

And this is fine, but again, dont mock what you dont know, or have not owned. I too preferred my 9's over the X, but the X is still very capable car.

I am biased I guess because most of my racing has been with Evo's. I have raced them for over 10 yrs. So I know more about them than the "average" guy. Most folks know a little here or there, or pay people to do this or that, but I have worked on the 4G63 hands on and know it inside and out, the 4B11T not as much.

I just get upset when people say, "I know this guy...." soon as I hear this my eyes roll.

So I apologize for being sensitive about a car I was very passionate about, and had so many fond memories with. I will defend the Evo till the end. To Date Best Cars I have ever owned.

GTI is up there though.....

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #72
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Car overheating on track days...(Use distilled water or WaterWetter?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
If you have not owned one dont hate. I have owned 4 and a GTI. So dont mock something you personally no nothing about.

Issues of overheating on the track are huge. People down play this, well the ones that do have very little track time, or only do parking lot coned courses where you are barely out of 2nd gear. When your on a real track and things get hot, it can be very dangerous, especially for a car like the GTI that goes into limp mode and cuts boosts or the TCU for the DSG if you have a DSG decides it has had enough. People like this guy is why I dont train new drivers, they just "assume" too much.

Jeff

I've driven and been in an 8 for a good while thanks. Not hating just stating the facts. I've also raced many with my ko4 and left them wondering wtf just happened. That's like trying to glorify an srt-4 it's a neon that was fast for it's time and now u don't see them any where and if you do they are not running right. I'm 35 and driven and owned many cars. Get over it. That's like me trying to buy a s13 240sx and trying to say that it's the best car blah blah blah. There are A LOT of better cars now. Not gonna drive around in some old neglected car and say it's better than current tech. Once again there are better cars now. With better tech and more cylinders.

Edit:

That's like if I go to a honda forum and every post I make talks about me nutting over a Nissan and trying to downplays hondas. Don't expect one to not notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Speeddemon69; 08-29-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #73
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
I've driven and been in an 8 for a good while thanks. Not hating just stating the facts. I've also raced many with my ko4 and left them wondering wtf just happened. That's like trying to glorify an srt-4 it's a neon that was fast for it's time and now u don't see them any where and if you do they are not running right. I'm 35 and driven and owned many cars. Get over it. That's like me trying to buy a s13 240sx and trying to say that it's the best car blah blah blah. There are A LOT of better cars now. Not gonna drive around in some old neglected car and say it's better than current tech. Once again there are better cars now. With better tech and more cylinders.

So because you drove one and and been in one makes you an expert? ok. Got Ya. Got you beat on years and experience.

Enough Said.

Sorry OP for getting off point. Some people just are, well some people.

I will and not it.

Sorry Folks.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #74
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Quote:
Out of curiosity what problems? Most I know of are Human Error, not the cars.

So please tell me these "problems" and bet they are associated with his mods and very poor tuning.

Jeff

Car is bone stock and garavel, tarmac, and snow lights are all on and is not running due to another issue that I'm not sure of.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #75
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithrashmotors View Post
Car is bone stock and garavel, tarmac, and snow lights are all on and is not running due to another issue that I'm not sure of.

*gravel

Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #76
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Car overheating on track days...(Use distilled water or WaterWetter?)

Quote:
So because you drove one and and been in one makes you an expert? ok. Got Ya. Got you beat on years and experience.

Enough Said.

Sorry OP for getting off point. Some people just are, well some people.

I will and not it.

Sorry Folks.

Jeff

Never said I was an expert. You obviously own a gti and dont know that disconnecting the battery don't clear nothing for tcu. So I guess owning a car for 5 years don't make you an expert either

Last edited by Speeddemon69; 08-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #77
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Never said I was an expert. You obviously own a gti and dont know that disconnecting the battery don't clear nothing for tcu. So I guess owning a car for 5 years don't make you an expert either

Nope Never touched the GTI for anything other than basic maintenance and basic stuff is why I am here, on the site to get some info and to learn. Never intended to mod this car, and on the fence about selling, as you already know since your doing a history of my posts.

No worries, do what you like

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2013GTI; 08-28-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #78
davidfromphoenix

Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI K04 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
What are you doing currently to provide increased cooling? Which intercooler are you running? What water/coolant ratio are you running? Which radiator are you running? Do you have any aux DSG cooling system?
Sorry, just saw that you'd responded, didn't get any notification.

Since my last post, for increased cooling on track, I've begun running my heater, and I've just recently flushed my system as best I could for distilled water + a bottle of water wetter. The VW specialty shop (I had them do this particular task) estimated there's probably 5-10% coolant still in the system, and they haven't seen any adverse effects (sludge, etc) of WW with the coolant I'm using (not G12, if I remember correctly). Again, I'm not concerned about freezing protection, as I live in AZ.

Although uncomfortably high temps still eventually occurred if I let my tune rev as high as it preferred, my recent changes seemed to definitely help significantly, and if I shift around 5500-6000 instead of nearly 7k like my tune prefers, I was able to keep temperatures in the 220-230 range, which, in my opinion, is more acceptable. Ambient temperatures definitely played a strong factor still. When the day started, the sun was barely up, and obscurred by clouds, and I could run the car as hard as I wanted for the entire 15 minute session without issue. Once the sun came out later, I was pushing 240 again according to my OBD2, and having to back off and start upshifting sooner, which saps some of the fun. However, unlike in the past, I never had issue with the coolant temp gauge moving past it's dummy point, which hopefully was a good sign.

I'm running this CTS intercooler:
http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/product...-3426-546.html

I'm still on the stock radiator, as I have the CBFA engine, and am concerned about how to defeat the CEL issue that replacing it seems to bring about. If I were to replace it, I'd probably have Ron Davis make me one, as he's a client and friend of mine. However, he recommended ensuring adequate airflow, which he wasn't convinced I was getting to it. I've also cleaned up my condenser slightly, which was moderately clogged with crap, and unbent a few hundred or so fins.

I do not have a dedicated DSG cooler, but I do have an aux oil cooler, the rad on which gets air even before it hits the condenser.

Last edited by davidfromphoenix; 09-12-2017 at 02:32 PM.
davidfromphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote