GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tune info

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I've been re-exploring tuners lately with the purchase of a Golf R, just to see what if anything new is out there. I was initially pretty set on going with APR again but three other tuners are interesting to me either for their power claims or for the ability to tune your car at your home.

Unitronic
United Motorsport
HPA

UM and HPA send you a "loaner tool" and you preform the tune. Unitronic has Uniconnect which once purchased allows you to tune, change tune, and go back to stock from your home.

Unitronic is pretty well known along the lines of APR, Revo, GIAC. But HPA and UM have less information out there about them tune wise, so I am looking for feed back on their tunes: power, reliability, problems, etc.

Yes I have searched and read on here and vortex looking for a larger sampling.

JP

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
Hpa is a solid tune but is pretty pricey. I you like being able to switch programs easily I'd go with APR over UNI. Then again depends what you plan on doing to your car in long run. If you are looking at custom big turbo setup in future I would not choose APR they don't offer custom tunes. ( love my APR tune though ). I personally think you would be most happy with UM. That is my opinion though. I am not biased to any tune.

Let the trolling commence

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
Hpa is a solid tune but is pretty pricey. I you like being able to switch programs easily I'd go with APR over UNI. Then again depends what you plan on doing to your car in long run. If you are looking at custom big turbo setup in future I would not choose APR they don't offer custom tunes. ( love my APR tune though ). I personally think you would be most happy with UM. That is my opinion though. I am not biased to any tune.

Let the trolling commence

I just haven't herd too much about UM, The few things I have seen look good but if its so awesome why aren't more people posting reviews? Same with HPA I have searched MK6 and the tex and little to nothing comes up for either.

I'm only going to go to stage 2+ with full bolt ons that's it. I might just stick with APR but I'm looking into other options as well.

JP

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
I just haven't herd too much about UM, The few things I have seen look good but if its so awesome why aren't more people posting reviews? Same with HPA I have searched MK6 and the tex and little to nothing comes up for either.

I'm only going to go to stage 2+ with full bolt ons that's it. I might just stick with APR but I'm looking into other options as well.

JP

Apr is solid tune. Same thing i have. Especially with update coming out. If you want things like LC and NLS though APR has not released it "YET". UM, Unitronic, and c2 have. As far as UM goes. They were huge In n/a r32 world for making big power gains without forced induction. Jeff does great work as do folks from APR. haven't heard bad things about Unitronic but most R owners don't have it. APR is definatly most common on forum . up to you at this point. Which shop/ option is closest/ easier for you

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
Go Unitronic you will not Regret it.. + Unitronic has Launch control for M/T Golf R's and HPFP is not Required on stage 2 like some of the other tuners...

Info
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63756

I wouldn't consider no HPFP requirement a good thing. That just means there is power being left on the table. We went into stage 2 development fully planning on offering a solution for the OEM HPFP, but it just wasn't up to the task.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't consider no HPFP requirement a good thing. That just means there is power being left on the table. We went into stage 2 development fully planning on offering a solution for the OEM HPFP, but it just wasn't up to the task.

Good info thank you Thomas.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
While our Stage 2 Performance Software lists power output of 335HP / 340LB-FT TQ to the crankshaft, the Stage 2 file consistently and reliably makes 325HP / 340 LB-FT TQ to the hubs, as measuring on our in-house Dynapack, which translates to approximately 342HP / 358 LB-FT TQ to the crankshaft. Most Stage 2 HPFP Software files that require an upgraded HPFP are within that territory. If you add a HPFP upgrade and Unitronic Stage 2 HPFP Performance Software, you will surely see some further gains, but that kind of goes without saying...

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
While our Stage 2 Performance Software lists power output of 335HP / 340LB-FT TQ to the crankshaft, the Stage 2 file consistently and reliably makes 325HP / 340 LB-FT TQ to the hubs, as measuring on our in-house Dynapack, which translates to approximately 342HP / 358 LB-FT TQ to the crankshaft. Most Stage 2 HPFP Software files that require an upgraded HPFP are within that territory. If you add a HPFP upgrade and Unitronic Stage 2 HPFP Performance Software, you will surely see some further gains, but that kind of goes without saying...

John,

I'm sure that your software makes good power, but surely you can't simply make an apples to apples comparison of dyno numbers. Especially when Dynapack's typically dyno in 2WD mode, notably inflating numbers.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
John,

I'm sure that your software makes good power, but surely you can't simply make an apples to apples comparison of dyno numbers. Especially when Dynapack's typically dyno in 2WD mode, notably inflating numbers.

Thomas,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm sure your guys' software is great, as well! While I agree that it's very difficult to directly compare data "apples to apples" across different brand dynos (Dynapack, Mustang, Dynojet, etc.), it goes without saying that 2WD mode figures will be higher than that of AWD mode. It's just the nature of 2WD mode, compared to AWD mode, as you're eliminating two drive wheels from the equation. If a proper correction factor is applied to either 2WD or AWD "wheel/hub" figures to convert to crank HP, it will come to the same. The correction factor will just be different for the respected mode dyno'd in.

Last edited:

GPM

Ready to race!

There is at least one other tuner who disagrees on the need for the HPFP upgrade. EvomsIT, who has a well documented history of tuning some very high horsepower exotics, has a Stage 2 tune for the Golf R that does not require an upgraded HPFP.

Other differences with the Evoms tune is that it is a bench flash, and can not be done through the OBD2 port, and their tunes also do not offer any switching capabilities.

Also living in the Phoenix area it made sense for me to go with a tune developed in our heat, and with our crappy 91 octane oxygenated fuel.

golfrla

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're looking for driving impressions, go back and look through the Official UM thread and two guys just posted their impressions on the revised APR tune (not released yet). Generally, both of their customers are very passionate about their tunes so that's saying something.

My personal experience: I went with another tuner (not APR or UM), and I'm really starting to regret not going with the one of two. While I can't say anything bad about my current tune, I feel like APR/UM have more passion for their product and I feel like your money will go further going with one of them. They always seem to be adding new features and refining their tune for the better. Same can't be said with my current tune. Sorry if my explanation seems very general. I don't want to come across as a mudslinger.

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
There is at least one other tuner who disagrees on the need for the HPFP upgrade. EvomsIT, who has a well documented history of tuning some very high horsepower exotics, has a Stage 2 tune for the Golf R that does not require an upgraded HPFP.

Other differences with the Evoms tune is that it is a bench flash, and can not be done through the OBD2 port, and their tunes also do not offer any switching capabilities.

Also living in the Phoenix area it made sense for me to go with a tune developed in our heat, and with our crappy 91 octane oxygenated fuel.

Check who was tuning their very high horsepower exotics a few years back :laugh:

You can limit power in certain areas of the RPM band to allow the stock HPFP to keep up. If you want to run the turbo near it's peak duty cycle, there is just no getting around the fact that you need more fuel. Most notably, you will see a dip in rail pressure at the higher RPM's if you are trying to run a high duty cycle on the stock turbo and stock HPFP.

GPM

Ready to race!
Check who was tuning their very high horsepower exotics a few years back :laugh:

You can limit power in certain areas of the RPM band to allow the stock HPFP to keep up. If you want to run the turbo near it's peak duty cycle, there is just no getting around the fact that you need more fuel. Most notably, you will see a dip in rail pressure at the higher RPM's if you are trying to run a high duty cycle on the stock turbo and stock HPFP.

Yup, I knew that, and they still speak highly of you guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not giving up a bit of power, but I'm quite happy with the results. Conditions here are pretty bad for little turbo motors and being an old fart, I really like being able to walk in and talk to the guy who tuned my car. Not to mention the fact that I can leave it on his doorstep should I have a problem.

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be

That's a pretty snippy reply for a forum sponsor....
Just look at how Unitronic presents itself on the forums compared!

Mutual respect goes a long way. Maybe it's just because they are Canadian!

Guess that's why GIAC has fallen out of favour