GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR downpipe worth it

rahulchawla

Title says it all, do you guys think the APR downpipe is worth it - I'm going to go stage 2 but the downpipe comes up too $1000 do you guys think its worth it or I can go with something cheaper with the same performance level and any suggestions?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Downpipe is a downpipe. But in apr case, it makes their tune cheaper.
Idk man cars up here range from ebay dp special to the top of the line priced ones.
Do you want a cat or catless one?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jshay

Go Kart Champion
It's a 3" pipe. My $120 one does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NNWGB6

Passed Driver's Ed
Title says it all, do you guys think the APR downpipe is worth it - I'm going to go stage 2 but the downpipe comes up too $1000 do you guys think its worth it or I can go with something cheaper with the same performance level and any suggestions?

No! It's just a damn pipe! Try ups Motorsports for around 480. Don't fall for the marketing.

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
No! It's just a damn pipe! Try ups Motorsports for around 480. Don't fall for the marketing.

The thing is, if you want to go APR software the price ends up being the same.

In Canada, the prices are to insane. At the end of the day you save about $50, by going with other reputable dp's and APR software. So might as well go all APR.

The only exception is ebay Dow pipes.

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!

Where are you getting the downpipe for $1000?

I have been looking for one as well and the cheapest APR one I've seen is $1075 + tax.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It's a nice piece. A big chunk of what you're paying for is the GESi catalytic converter that retails for about $500 (US) all by itself. If you live where they do sniffer tests but not a visual inspection this is one of the downpipes you want, as it should pass and you should still get great performance out of it.

So yeah, you can get the same horsepower out of something less expensive, but if you want that performance to be clean you can't go much cheaper.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i paid $135.00 for my downpipe. granted its catless non resonated. But its just a pipe if you are already stage 1 apr and want stage 2 then yes buying their 1k down-pipe "saves" you the $150 upgrade fee they charge for non-apr downpipes.

But if you buy a downpipe for ~150 and add the upcharge for the stage 2 you are only around $300 in total or a saving of almost $700 from the APR downpipe.

So just depends on what you want really. IMO the APR downpipe is severly overpriced for what it is and they trick people into thinking they get a great deal by saying FREE upgrade to stage 2 from stage 1 with purchase.

But if you need a catted downpipe and stuff for emissions i think those "cheaper" ones are in the 400-500 range with a cat.. but that still could save you a couple bucks over the APR.

oldtype2

Ready to race!

Just ordered the cast downpipe after much debate. Did a lot of research beforehand and liked the idea of the upper section being cast, the tubing is thick gauge stainless and the cat is one of the best out there. For me the sleeve clamps are great, never had one leak.

I didn't buy it for the discounted software part though. Going with the Accessport for a tune.

eBay downpipes are very inexpensive but are thin gauge stainless, they will rust, especially if you drive on salt in the winter and sometimes you'll get lucky with fitment, sometimes not.
They also won't fit a CBFA without some modification.

I've had a few eBay downpipes on my Mk4's and the welds always cracked after a year or sooner, you don't really know it until it's off the car. In the end you get what you pay for.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I already have stage 1, am I gonna have to pay to go to stage 2 if I get a non-apr downpipe?
yeah they charge a $150 fee to go from stage 1 to stage 2.
If you buy their downpipe they wave the fee as an appreciation to your loyalty to spend 1k on their piping.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
yeah they charge a $150 fee to go from stage 1 to stage 2.
If you buy their downpipe they wave the fee as an appreciation to your loyalty to spend 1k on their piping.

LOL fuck that. overpriced DPs are a gimmick. Aftermarket DPs with cats will still give you CEL's and the ones that come with o2 spacers that say they guarantee readiness are BS.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
The downpipe is $750 and the stage 2 upgrade is free with purchase of the downpipe. I got it from Modded Euros with free shipping.

The OP must have to pay for shipping to Canada?? Maybe thats why its $1k?

I know it's still a lot of $$ for a downpipe, I've just had bad luck with cheap exhausts, others have not.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
I already have stage 1, am I gonna have to pay to go to stage 2 if I get a non-apr downpipe?

You will have to pay their upgrade fee for not having the APR downpipe.