GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound only on right side with iPhone???

Lankadragon

Guys, help please. I plug my iPhone into the speaker system and sound only come from the right side. I adjust the balance to the left and for some reason I hear nothing. Plugging in headphones, I get sound out of both ear buds. Any ideas what could be wrong?

helenabrooke

bc if you are it could be messed up, in my car i had to turn the wire or press it a certain way to get sound on both sides, but if you arent using an aux wire id take it in to the dealer

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
x2

If you're using the Aux In & a cable, it might not be pushed in all the way....either on the Iphone or in the Aux In jack

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
My MDI cable does this exact thing. But I know for a fact that the cable itself, is the culprit. I'm getting my car serviced on Monday, and I'm sure they'll just swap it.

If it is your MDI, do the following:

Get it plugged in, nice and tight. Then, carefully jiggle the cable around at the point where the connector housing is. DON'T jiggle the plugs, only a small section of the cable. If you hear the sound cutting in and out, or otherwise effected by the movement; then it's the cable. If not, try other devices to see if it's repeatable, which could mean it's the dock input.

I'd bet anything that it's the cable though. These MDI cables are really crappy, and the placement of the "dock" almost seems designed to make you keep replacing the cable. I'd open mine up and try to fix it myself, but the 30 pin iPod plug would be a HUGE pain in the ass to solder. My times worth more than 36 bucks.

Lankadragon

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, this is the MDI. I'll try jiggling the cable to see if it's the issue, but I have a feeling you are right. Bummer... Right before a road trip too. I'll post back once I solve the issue.