GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI DSG to Manual Conversion?

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
NOW, I know what you're going to say..."Why the @#*$ didn't you just get a manual in the 1st place?!?!" or "DSG is better anyways because of a)...b)...c)...d)...". Well, to make it short, 1) I had restrictions placed on me when buying this car, and 2) I REALLY miss driving a manual, and can't do a trade in or buy a 2nd car just to get a manual UNLESS I wait 3, 4, etc. years.

So back on topic...how much would it cost? I'm definitely open to shops chiming in on this...
I'm guessing labor is going to be $$$, but the cost of the parts would depend on if it's new or used, from a wrecked donor car, or from somebody willing to swap.
Has this ever been done before even on an MK5? If is has, I imagine it's most likely to have been done on an R32 rather than anything else...

Tecni

Ready to race!
Vdubs have a ton of electronics and my guess is that even if you do get it swapped, your cluster is going to look like a christmas tree.

tippah1

Ready to race!
I hope you cashed up!! Just slide the gear selector into manual mode. You do have a manual gearbox it's just controlled by a computer.

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Vdubs have a ton of electronics and my guess is that even if you do get it swapped, your cluster is going to look like a christmas tree.

FML. So, I guess I have to throw in a new/used manual-specific cluster in there too...

Just slide the gear selector into manual mode. You do have a manual gearbox it's just controlled by a computer.

I'll be more specific about my OP:
...2) I REALLY miss driving a manual in which I row my own gears while utilizing a 3rd pedal...

cee dot are

Passed Driver's Ed
instead of going thru the trouble of gettin a swap.. suck up ur loose and trade ur dsg in and see how much they are willing to work with you for trade value-- subtract that price from the price you payed for ur car and if its less then the full cost of a swap plus labor i say cut ur looses and go that route.. im sure ur looking at close to a 5-8g job

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
It will cost you way way way way less to trade plus once your ready to sell you will have the correct gearbox.

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
instead of going thru the trouble of gettin a swap.. suck up ur loose and trade ur dsg in and see how much they are willing to work with you for trade value-- subtract that price from the price you payed for ur car and if its less then the full cost of a swap plus labor i say cut ur looses and go that route.. im sure ur looking at close to a 5-8g job

It will cost you way way way way less to trade plus once your ready to sell you will have the correct gearbox.

UGH, this swap is getting more hopeless by the second :cry: Hahaha!

Thanks for the replies...keep 'em coming, but I'm guessing it'll be more or less the same responses :(

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
You can probly find someone with manual willing to trade to DSG if your car is in good condition

gkallis

Ready to race!
maybe post some details about ur gti so people know what you have if they want to trade....ive always thought about DSG

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion

I think that this would be a huge factor.... I would never consider buying a hacked up DSG/manual conversion if there are plenty of manuals on the market.

saucer

Leadfoot
I remember this coming up on the MKV forums b/c I was interested in turning back after jonesing for a clutch.

General consensus was that it would be more cost efficient to trade in for a 6MT...

youGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
maybe post some details about ur gti so people know what you have if they want to trade....ive always thought about DSG

:confused: Your question is kind of vague, but I guess the most important one I can think of is mileage: ~2,500 miles.

General consensus was that it would be more cost efficient to trade in for a 6MT...

:word: /thread....

:cry: I had a feeling it would come to this after reading a couple of the comments...