GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk5 r32 or mk6 gti?

mk6 gti trade in for mk5 r32 with less than 40k in excellent condition?

• Total voters

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Why do you guys care about performance from a roll so much? Do they not have stop signs and traffic lights where you live? I generally obey the laws, at least within 5 or 10 mph, so for me the only excitement in daily driving is what happens on the way up to the speed limit - which does not occur from a roll unless you want to get a LOT of tickets.

Actually no, all my driving is on State highways and interstate with 2 redlights. Dude, I live in Alabama and you live in Detroit, what do you expect? :D

Speed limits are optional here, never obeyed. I've had cops fly by me when I'm doing 90mph. All they do is just wave

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Fair enough, I think Michigan's primary source of income is traffic tickets. I've been lucky enough to only get 3 in 10 years, but I drive like an insane tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist assuming there's a cop around every corner just trying to catch me doing something wrong.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Fair enough, I think Michigan's primary source of income is traffic tickets. I've been lucky enough to only get 3 in 10 years, but I drive like an insane tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist assuming there's a cop around every corner just trying to catch me doing something wrong.

Gotta live a little man! Cant be overly cautious all the time! Either that or get a concealed mount radar detector. Dont know if they're legal or not up there.

AdamC

Ready to race!
Nope. But damn I do lub the mk IV .:R :wub:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
If you plan to stay stock, then absolutely. The MKV .:R is miles ahead of any stock GTI in driving feel and dynamics. FYI I have both and drive both regularly. The GTI cannot even come close to the enjoyment of the .:R. I've put 110,000 miles plus on my .:R as a daily driver, 125 mile round trip commute every day. You just cannot get a better commuter at the same price point.

If you plan to mod heavily, then keep the GTI and you'll get a lot more bang for the buck from it. However, if you have a large mod budget (like $10k or more) then again go for the .:R and Turbocharge it. Then no GTI will ever touch you :D

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Even a single turbo R32 would be awesome. The sound of the car alone is amazing.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
I would stick with my GTI. I like the fit and finish, the mpg and the look (vs the mk5 at least). Turbo is easier to play with. And...if we're talking about speed, I took one from a dig to 50 easy once I get traction with my stage 1.

Both cars are great though, but if you have one I don't think it's worth trading to get the other unless there is a huge price difference and you're saving a ton of money. Good luck with you're decision.

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
There are three R32s for sale around me, but as much as I like the engine, I would not trade in the Mk6. I think that it is a more balanced package.