GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

FLIPSCOUT

str8dubn
supposedly NA is requesting the option for DSG and manual but having these cars only in 4 door.. SUPPOSEDLY...couple buddies of mine talked to the guys driving the mk6s at h20 while at a meet...the guys that worked at headquarters

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
That is good news...if it works out. At least the option to bring it is on the table.

mongo1

Ready to race!
4 door only? I don't understand that at all. It's the company's badass sport compact. Why wouldn't they want to provide the option for 2 door?

...Or are you suggesting they only want one of the transmissions available in 4 door?

Oddly, I'd be more ticked if I was forced to get a 4 door than if I was forced to get DSG (and I have never in my life owned an automatic). I just don't dig the aesthetic of 4 door cars.

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Don't know any friends of friends of anybody at VWGA, so this is all idle speculation. But it is based on what it takes to Federalize a car for US sale -

Powertrain (Emissions - EPA)
The 265 HP TFSI with 6sp DSG and haldex (not the current gen Haldex in the Golf R however) has already been federalized for US sale in the 2009 & up TT-S. It is likely the same specification powertrain in a Golf would pass emissions requirements with little or no changes. What has not been federalized at this point is a 6-speed manual configuration, this would require additional testing and cost on VWGAs part (perhaps this can be split with Audi of America if they plan on offering a 6 speed manual TT-S).

Safety Testing (Crash tests - NHTSA)
If both the 2 door and 4 door configurations are to be sold in the US, they will both have to be crash tested. Since the drivetrain, bumpers and other pieces are different than a Mk VI GTI for example, all of the possible configurations will have to be tested individually. Other safety considerations include dash structure, seats, seat belts, airbags etc. The Mk V and Mk VI are supposed to be world cars so few if any tweaks may be needed.

Now all of these costs to federalize a collection of Golf Rs for sale have to be spread across the X units to be sold. If we are only talking about 5-8000 units, this could get expensive for 4 main configurations (2dr DSG and manual, 4dr DSG and manual). The bean counters in Falls Church will have to crunch the numbers and figure out what makes sense.

As for useless predictions - IF we get the Golf R at all, I predict there is a 100% chance a DSG 2Dr will be in the mix. A significantly less chance (~50%) a 2Dr Manual will be offered as well. 4Dr DSG along with 2Dr about 75% chance, 4 Dr Manual alongside the 2Dr Manual probably less than 50%.

I'm in for a 2Dr DSG if they come, as soon as they are announced I have a check ready to go for deposit (and my email to customer relations from 9/17 says that). Otherwise I will hang on to my DSG Mk V GTI since the Mk VI offers virtually no improvement over that (I've already got an RNS-510 etc.)

Last edited:

maximum61

Passed Driver's Ed
apparently APR tuning has the Stage 1 chip out for the engine..

and it boosts performance to 322hp/321fttq

Golf R better have a manual, and should only come in manual.

Didn't the past GTIs only come in manual?

Q822

Ready to race!
in the past...a lot of car had only three gears too....all the sportiest car now come with this kind of transmission look the newests ferraris, they have only this transmission and no shifter only on the steering...I don,t say that it is better but I don't hate this transmission...it does very well...

GTI2007

apparently APR tuning has the Stage 1 chip out for the engine..

and it boosts performance to 322hp/321fttq

Golf R better have a manual, and should only come in manual.

Didn't the past GTIs only come in manual?

With the MK5 GTI you had the choice between a manual and the DSG gearbox

Onassis

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I understand about the current generation GTi, you will need to chip both the engine and transmission. It also depends on what sort of power you are looking for and what your definition of safe is.

Onassis

Passed Driver's Ed

European pricing courtesy of VWvortex. Please note that price correlation between USD and Euro is much different and that the pricing in the US will be lower after they butcher the EDM market R20.

M-DuB

From what I understand about the current generation GTi, you will need to chip both the engine and transmission. It also depends on what sort of power you are looking for and what your definition of safe is.

Looking for 360 hp+ with DSG

subacpw

Ready to race!
Looking for 360 hp+ with DSG

APR says you dont need any DSG chipping, tho i wouldnt mind being able to hold gears at redline.