GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did I blow up something? Please help haha

PatrickRori

Passed Driver's Ed
So this happened a very long time ago...let me tell you a little story

It was a pretty hot day but my MK6 GTI has never had problems with overheating. This is a stage 2 protuned GTI by Stratifiedauto. Cold air intake, full catless exhaust, GFB DV+ were the main power mods.

So I was pulling onto the highway and decided to do a pull, I think it was 2nd gear if I remember correctly. I experienced drastic power loss and white smoke was flying out of the exhaust...and I mean a lot of it. I pulled over on the side of the highway and even at idle there was white smoke. I turned the car off and waited 10 mins and tried again, still white smoke. This is where it gets weird, I switched to the stock tune thanks to Cobb....no white smoke. Drove it home with no problems. I took all of my modifications off and have been driving it for around 6 months with no problems.

Does anyone have any idea what could have been the problem? It has to do with the tune but what would cause the white smoke? I have been WOT on my car as usual with the stock tune and have not had a single issue.

If you guys could help me out that would be greatly appreciated, thinking about selling the car for FRS/Fiesta ST/Civic SI.

Here's a pic of the once fast car, thanks guys!
[/IMG]

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Fuelling issue? Software issue? Scan for codes and also I would try the tune again and see if the smoke returns which would narrow it down if it did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Are you loosing coolant? Without an obvious leak?

Laimface

Ready to race!
What does the white smoke smell like? Also, stock boost may not be putting enough pressure into the engine to make the leak happen. Try flashing back and see if it comes back. Definitely keep an eye on coolant levels and engine temps though!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
It May (if at a loss elsewhere) also be worth doing a compression test, if that proves to be okay it could be coolant entering the induction system via the turbo, but I don’t know wether your loosing coolant!

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
Like others have said, what fluid is low when its smoking? I had the same problem with mine, sort of. I knew mine was burning oil. But it would burn less on a stock tune than the ones I had from stratified. Like was mentioned above I dont think it had enough boost on the stock to make the consumption problem I had as bad on stock.
My suggestion- top off oil and coolant to correct levels then put the tune in and drive it 50 miles or so and check the levels on both of those. Once you find out what fluid is coming out the back it will let you know what to look at next.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Pcv? Might be getting white smoke from that being bad and then going back to stock took more pressure off the pcv

PatrickRori

Passed Driver's Ed
Well there was no noticeable coolant leaking at the time and the smoke was only coming out of the exhaust pipes so maybe it was something with the turbo? But the car is stock rn so I can't put the tune back on. The car threw no codes btw...not sure what the hell happened tbh. I figured it was something with maybe the head gaskets because all the videos I looked up look exactly like the smoke I was having. The odd thing was that my car is totally fine now. Maybe I was pushing too much pressure with the tune and now its somehow good?

Thanks for the replies though guys, appreciate the support!

Laimface

Ready to race!
Don't think the issue is solved by flashing the stock tune however, you're just delaying the inevitable! Fix the issue or potentially have some scrap sat outside your house!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Straight white (if that’s what it actually is) would suggest it to be coolant, PCV issues would cause problems with oil!