GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to find TDC on crankshaft?? 2.0TSI CCTA

superwagen

Hi,
Im trying to figure out how to find top dead center on cylinder #1 on my crankshaft.

My balance shaft seized at ~100,000 Miles. I decided to pull the engine because the balance shaft seized and slide forward and threw the balance shaft chain off the idler sprocket that drives it (see pics below). The balance chain, which is driven by the crankshaft, is now eating into my cam timing chain guides. The engine is thankfully still in time, as I got it to idle while figuring out why my coolant temp was rising (balance shaft is used to drive the water pump, so it it stopped) and what that loud screaming sound was (balance chain devouring my cam guide). The issue is, I need to replace the timing sprocket on the crankshaft (the lower one with three gears on it) because the balance chain beat on it too so I need to know how to get the crank back in time if it shifts while replacing it. That donut crank bolt timing tool is non functional here because the sprocket that it is meant to hold down needs to be replaced).

Pics of balance shaft failure

Anyways any feedback is appreciated! I got a subscription to alldatadiy for a repair manual but they seem to list how to mount the chain to an already timed crank and cams

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_194620.jpg
    IMG_20170522_194620.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_20170522_194430.jpg
    IMG_20170522_194430.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

superwagen

Thank you so much, life saver! Now I just have to wait on parts and crank the engine over by hand a bunch of times to make sure everything is in check!

Thanks again!