GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Sway Bar Discussion Thread

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone interested in 28 + 26 mm sways made by H&R?

Last edited:

youngdoc

Passed Driver's Ed
For the F/R 26/24 set up you promote, I assume you are using H&R bars? Did you try some/any of the other solid bars you profiled in the beginning?

I've been in my 2012 GTI, completely stock, for 4-6 wks now. I drive very "spiritedly" but also use the car as my daily driver. As of rt now, I don't want to change wheels, still like the factory Detroits, but definitely want better cornering. Still 26/24? Also would be game to change springs/go to coilovers, but that would be further down the road....still cool to run 26/24 until then?

Thanks

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
I'd suggest:

- H&R sways 26 + 24 mm
- DG springs (or stay with stock springs if you like the ride height)
- Bilstein B6/HD dampers
- S3 control arms bushes
- TT strut mounts
- Michelin PSS summer tires

808bahn

Ready to race!
Do you find that the H&R 26/24 set up is good for a DD? I currently have H&R 26/22 set at soft front and hard rear with DG springs on stock dampers, and it's perfect for DD, but still would like the car to be more flat during cornering, w/o compromising the DD aspect.

I'd suggest:

- H&R sways 26 + 24 mm
- DG springs (or stay with stock springs if you like the ride height)
- Bilstein B6/HD dampers
- S3 control arms bushes
- TT strut mounts
- Michelin PSS summer tires

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
It suits DD, but did you already try the front bar set to stiff?
I'd try that first just before spending money.

You'll know I'd be easy t swap the rear bar, but changing setup
is easier. Keep in mind the front bar effects body roll much more
than the rear bar. You'll notice the change.

808bahn

Ready to race!
Good point. I will do that first. Thanks.

It suits DD, but did you already try the front bar set to stiff?
I'd try that first just before spending money.

You'll know I'd be easy t swap the rear bar, but changing setup
is easier. Keep in mind the front bar effects body roll much more
than the rear bar. You'll notice the change.

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
Happy Holidays all,
I have a 2012 GTI Autobahn, 6spd, Carbonio Stage II, APR tune Stage II and Bilstein PSS10 coilovers. I recently purchased the APR F/R sways and wanted to ask how to set these up for the most neutral handling. I don't want understeer or oversteer but a little oversteer would be ok. Also, How much should it cost total for installation? Would installation require an alignment? I have the Bilstein's settings at 7/7 F/R. Any advice on that?

Thank you all in advance,

Kevin
VAG-COM in Metro Detroit available

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Are you running snow tires in the winter?
If so I'd set both bars to soft in the winter and both to stiff with your PSS as a starting point.

Keep in mind contrary to stock and H&R/Eibach/KW/VWR bars that APR sways are both front
and rear same diameter giving a more rear based nature.

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
Nokian Hakka 7's winter, Michelin Pilot SS summer

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
Are you running snow tires in the winter?
If so I'd set both bars to soft in the winter and both to stiff with your PSS as a starting point.

Keep in mind contrary to stock and H&R/Eibach/KW/VWR bars that APR sways are both front
and rear same diameter giving a more rear based nature.

Mr Bruce,

I need to pick your brain. I have been told that you are THE man to talk to about the PSS10 CO. I currently have mine set up 7 front and 7 rear. I intend to install my APR front and rear sways. I would like a setup that will allow me to put the power to the pavement and at the same time make the handling more neutral or slightly biased oversteer. What would you recommended settings for the coilovers and swaybars be?

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Who told you? :D

Sadly I didn't run any B16 PSS10 on my GTI. Nevertheless I have one advice:

Regardless of the make of coilovers or sways try SEVERAL DIFFERENT settings on
your own. Other guys may have the "ultimate" settings, but their car will most pro-
bably be different to yours and more importantly their driving style and taste will
always be different.

Don't miss the chance to experience different setting of both dampers and sways !!

;)

Short guide to suspension setup:

Alignment for road use: factory spec (f+r 10' toe in, rear camber at -1°30', both
sides as equal as possible).
Set the dampers so that both axles feel similar on bumps. Resist to set them too
stiff (I know most people set them too stiff). Use the sways to balance cornering.

R-Korb

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, do u need an alignment when just installing a new rsb? Thanks.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Guys, do u need an alignment when just installing a new rsb? Thanks.

Nope. Simple bolt on process that doesnt affect the alignment whatsoever :D

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Which rear bar would you recommend that works best with the stock front? I want one that offers at the soft setting closer to the stock balance but have a meaningful gain at stiff for autoX. To stay "stock" class I can only swap one bar....

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Which rear bar would you recommend that works best with the stock front? I want one that offers at the soft setting closer to the stock balance but have a meaningful gain at stiff for autoX. To stay "stock" class I can only swap one bar....

I would say an H&R Rear bar would suffice.

APR/Hotchkis bars have a 100/150/200% settings and might be a little stiff for just stock, but it would give you more options.