GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs & Seafoam??

Jarred767

Ready to race!
So looking to plan out sone PM on my recently purchased GTI. From what I can tell, still original fuel filter, plugs and coils (96k miles), so I plan on replacing them all (with upgraded R8 coils). But I'm curious in what order I should do a seafoam treatment or if it's worth it? I bought some, and have used it in past in the gas tank, but never through the intake. I can't say it doesn't make me nervous, but there's a lot of good reviews (and plenty not so good), so I'm kinda torn. I've watched the DIY on here too, so feel like I could do it easily if I want to, just not sure what the best order would be.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I agree it is time for plugs & coil packs. The fuel filter is a good idea too along with a engine air filter & cabin filter if those look like they need it.

I'm not a fan of seafudge. Snake oil in a can that will do nothing to clean the backside of the intake valves. I've had good luck with Chevron Techron although it won't clean the valves on our DI engines either. It will help keep the combustion chamber & injectors clean.

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
Always seafoam first THEN replace plugs and coils next. This keeps the new plugs cleaner... no crude fowling then up. Make sure the engine is cold before replacing the plugs. Let the car sat for a couple hours before changing the fuel filter out as well. You wil get some fuel leakage no matter what… Keep your face away from the houses when you're disconnecting them. Make sure to torque the spark plugs… I think it's around 17 lbs/ft of torque. Also, I had a hell of a time with two of the three clips on the fuel filter. It helped to have a tiny flat head screw driver to push down on the release tab while gently trying to separate the retention clip. Be super careful with the fuel filter so that you do not damage the clips on the houses. It can be frustrating… Patience is key.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Thanks guys really appreciate the thoughts. I already bought the stuff, but the more I research it, the more hesitant I become, especially since I don't have any noticeable issues with the car. Wil it hurt/help at all to just run it through the tank (or a portion through the crankcase next time I change the oil?

Anything else that might be recommended to help clean internal stuff up a bit before changing out plugs, coils, and filter? Thanks again!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks guys really appreciate the thoughts. I already bought the stuff, but the more I research it, the more hesitant I become, especially since I don't have any noticeable issues with the car. Wil it hurt/help at all to just run it through the tank (or a portion through the crankcase next time I change the oil?

Anything else that might be recommended to help clean internal stuff up a bit before changing out plugs, coils, and filter? Thanks again!

Uh nothing really. Direct injections cars as just messy. After 60-80k miles you'll need a carbon cleaning and then you'll be good to go for 60-80k

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Uh nothing really. Direct injections cars as just messy. After 60-80k miles you'll need a carbon cleaning and then you'll be good to go for 60-80k

Yeah, I just bought it and carbon cleaning was done at 70k (currently 96k). Coils, Filter and plugs are all original though, so changing them out for PM, but sounds like best to just stick with that and not add any additives or anything?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I just bought it and carbon cleaning was done at 70k (currently 96k). Coils, Filter and plugs are all original though, so changing them out for PM, but sounds like best to just stick with that and not add any additives or anything?
i dont add any additives.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Remove the intake manifold and clean the combustion chamber. That's the cheapest method. Seafoam is not recommended for newer turbocharged cars.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Thanks again for the suggestions, I've decided to hold off on the seafoam and maybe just add some to the crankcase before my next oil change.

Regarding the plugs, Ive done a ton of research and cant seem to figure out which ones might better for my situation. Engine is bone stock and I may tune to stage 1 in the future, but that would almost certainly be as far as I'd go with the car. I'll upgrade to R8 coils, but not sure if the double platinum plugs (PFR7S8EG) or iridium plugs (BKR7EIX) would be better suited. It seems like platinum are better and only $10 more total, but I feel more people use iridium. Suggestions?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks again for the suggestions, I've decided to hold off on the seafoam and maybe just add some to the crankcase before my next oil change.

Regarding the plugs, Ive done a ton of research and cant seem to figure out which ones might better for my situation. Engine is bone stock and I may tune to stage 1 in the future, but that would almost certainly be as far as I'd go with the car. I'll upgrade to R8 coils, but not sure if the double platinum plugs (PFR7S8EG) or iridium plugs (BKR7EIX) would be better suited. It seems like platinum are better and only $10 more total, but I feel more people use iridium. Suggestions?
platinum have a longer life than iridium. It would just depend on how often you wanted to change them.

here is a good article about different plugs for our car.
http://www.hstuning.com/blog/uncate...e-spark-plug-options-for-the-fsi-tsi-engines/

Jarred767

Ready to race!
platinum have a longer life than iridium. It would just depend on how often you wanted to change them.

here is a good article about different plugs for our car.
http://www.hstuning.com/blog/uncate...e-spark-plug-options-for-the-fsi-tsi-engines/

Thanks! Yeah, I had seen that article linked in a few other threads (great article btw) and they sound like they recommend the platinums, an that's what I'm leaning toward, but it sounded like many used the iridium, so wasn't sure if there was a different benefit to those that I was missing.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i chose iridium plugs, BKR7EIX, because those were the ones offered in the kit i bought with the Red top Audi coils.