GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Really turning off ESP

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Folks,

This may have been brought up before, but does anyone know how to completely turn off traction control in our cars? My MKV was an 06 and actually turned off when you hit the button. This car is still very much "on" when you turn it off, and the inability to rotate the car is starting to bug me. It was slowing me up all over Mont Tremblant last weekend. Thoughts?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Can't do it, and I had the same problem at tremblant. It unsettles the car and is almost dangerous. Don't remember the name of the corner but after the front straight you turn right go up hill and as you go over te crest before the steep downhill the car unsettles itself :(. Well that was my experience at least.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Aye that would be turn 1. My dashboard looks like a Christmas tree going through there at 90mph, just wish I could turn it all off and hit 93 or so!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
No you cannot turn off ESP fully.

All models up to 2008 had fully discontinuing circuits to elimnate traction control, but 2009 to present its been put in the logic to still passively be there, even if the flashing light says you turned it off.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Poop. Oh well. Guess I'll need to start saving my pennies for a used Z06.

darian

Ready to race!
Cant turn it off on the gti. But you can on the R my 2012 and gti ed35. They have a new esp computer

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

lon888

Ready to race!
This "feature" is one of things that Car and Driver magazine dinged the GTI on during their "Best Handling Car" story. Like you, they felt if they could completely turn off the ESP, the car could let its handling shine.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone tried pulling the fuse for track use?
Seems like the simple solution.

ABS fuse?
I believe this disables electronic LSD and I'm not sure I would want to disable ABS while on track either (helps prevent flat spots if you lock up).

With real LSD I may consider it but I've def hit ABS a couple times which saved a couple flat spots so...I dunno.

Apparently APR on their race cars disable it through the ECU but won't do it on their customer tunes...which is unfortunate.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I can check through our highway standards, but there might be something about partial ESP discontinuation, but not total. I can see it for safety, but then that would make feel like I cant control my own

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
There are ways to make ESP switchable on some ESP versions without any
hardware changes. A mate managed to do this on his Mk.VI.

Sadly I don't remember how he managed it, but it's worth thinking about though.

Beside ESP there are more things you can do:

The Golf has a function of the ESP (like most modern cars) that increases
brake pressure when you hit the brake pedal fast. This is intended to help
unexperienced drivers, esp. women. :yikes:

This threshold can be varied via VCDS !!

Have a look into 'brake system', then 'channel 09'. You will see three settings
if you have the same Mk.60 ESP like I have in my 2008 Euro GTI:

- '00' = 'center' = factory setting (medium threshold)
- '01' = 'small' = low threshold (not what you want)
- '02' = 'large' = high threshold (the one to go for)

:laugh: