GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cam follower issue

krische

vdubber in training
Can someone inform me on the cam follower issue that occurs with the FSI engine? I've heard it's a very common problem on the FSI engine in the GTIs.

Not to sound like a total idiot, but what exactly is a cam follower and what is the problem that occurs with it in the FSI engine?

Thanks.

bobbymkvi

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, Overtimer, you just made yourself look like an ass. A really stupid ass. Considering that the R20 is based off the old engine, the OP's question is relevant. But shouldn't you know that? What a blowhard.

krische

vdubber in training
1. The fsi was in the mkv gti.
2. This is golfmk6.com
3. Try introducing yourself to google search.

And the same engine with stronger internals is in the Golf R. Hence why I was asking. I want to know if people here think and/or know if the Golf R's FSI will have the same cam follower issue as the mkv GTI.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
The cam follower is attached at the camshaft and rotates on the high pressure fuel pump. The main issue IIRC, the lobe would wear out abnormaly and cause a lower fuel pressure, causing a CEL and resulting changing the cam follower. I think this issue has been resolved. You could also check to see if the TT-s has similar problems like the GTI mk5 had, since the TT-s is the same motor as the R.

krische

vdubber in training
The cam follower is attached at the camshaft and rotates on the high pressure fuel pump. The main issue IIRC, the lobe would wear out abnormaly and cause a lower fuel pressure, causing a CEL and resulting changing the cam follower. I think this issue has been resolved. You could also check to see if the TT-s has similar problems like the GTI mk5 had, since the TT-s is the same motor as the R.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I'm interested in the Golf R, but wasn't to sure about the cam follower issue for it; but I remembered hearing a lot about it with the MKV GTIs.

Also, is the cam follower something easily fixed or is it pretty technical?

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
2. This is golfmk6.com

Sorry... I have to say you are a real jerk off. Being on this forum you'd think you'd have some idea that the R20's engine is is based off the Mk5 GTI's engine. Do some homework before you start sheding your unwanted two cents.

Sure you're gonna go all anal but seriously bring yourself up to pace first.

Wow, Overtimer, you just made yourself look like an ass. A really stupid ass. Considering that the R20 is based off the old engine, the OP's question is relevant. But shouldn't you know that? What a blowhard.

:word: well said to the douche.

And the same engine with stronger internals is in the Golf R. Hence why I was asking. I want to know if people here think and/or know if the Golf R's FSI will have the same cam follower issue as the mkv GTI.

Hey Krische, I've just upgraded my fuel pump to the APR HPFP in my Golf R. Despite that the fact the existing Cam follower is fine i'd personally change it to a new replacement during the HPFP upgrade if you ever pursue that route.

In terms of similar issues IMO the vehicle will strain the Cam follower under high boost levels from any ECU and/or engine upgrade given the similar characteristics of the Mk5 engine. No harm regularly checking up on the Cam follower every service if not every alternate service and replace if needed before serious damage occurs. :)

I used this as a reference and reminder.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76402

hope this helps

spessx

Ready to race!
2. This is golfmk6.com

OT - Why would you make such a dick headed response to a fellow VW enthusiast?

I'll never understand the whole "internet toughguy" mindset.

-s

2. This is golfmk6.com

:laugh:

overtimer, do some research bro!

Also, one of the main reasons why I switched from my mk5 GTI was that I really didn't need that Cam Follower maintenance crap following me around when my car got to 100k or more. I just didn't trust the overall reliability of the whole FSI motor past a certain mileage. The cam follower issue is really just USA issue. Our fuel here sucks, as does the oil used by our VW dealers. The GTIs in Europe ran in lean burn mode, ours here never did and caused A LOT OF ISSUES with fuel dilution of the motor oil. (hence, 10k oil intervals = death to the cam and its follower ... lol)

The TSI in our MK6s have solved the fuel dilution issues, amongst other issues the FSI had. I really don't know if VW has addressed US cam follower problems with the uprated FSI motor.

I just don't understand why modern motors even need flat tappet cam follower thingamijigs in this day and age....

Last edited:

turbor850

Ready to race!
2. This is golfmk6.com

1. FSI is in Golf R (same enginge, stronger internals)
2. This is golfmk6.com -> Golf R Forum
3. Try introducing yourself to google search
4. Know what your talking about before posting

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
2. This is golfmk6.com

get bent man seriously. Golf R uses it.

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
Cam follower isn't that big of a deal. New ones are about $50 and you don't have to change it for at least 10k miles (varies depending on how the cars driven and the mods done to it).

If you decided to change it every 10k miles (probably overkill for most) that's about $500 in 100k miles. Compared to the other costs, not to mention the cost of buying a $30k+ car, that's not that much money.

Best thing to do is to get a new intake so that you can take the engine cover off. With the cover off, the cam follower is changeable in about 30 minutes or so.

but the point is... if it's such a high wear part... VW should make it part of routine maintenance every 20K.

As an ex mk5 GTI owner, I have seen perfect cam followers after 60k miles, and I have seen busted cam followers at 60k miles.

I didn't want to bother with it anymore. Having said that, I still loved the FSI motor for its ability to pull all the way up to 6500 rpm without losing steam.