GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
I run pirelli p zeros because they’re all I’ve ran because that’s what she came with and their excellent rubbers. Not saying their comparable or better than any other particular tire. They’re all seasons though. You asked and that’s my 2 pennies.

I still had the stock ones on and I liked them, but Michelin PSS aren’t too much more expensive so that’s why I was asking.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Got home last week from college and still had my summer tires on since it hadn't snowed, but after it snowed 3 times in the past week at home I decided to pull her in the garage and put on my winter tires. I noticed 3/4 tires need to be changed (got a flat two-ish years ago and that tire is still good). Since I have winter tires should I invest in summer tires (Michelin PSS) or just get all seasons (Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+)? Since I have the winter tires on now I have 3-4 months before I plan on switching them out, so i was wondering what you all run, and why?

I had BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2 on my MK5 GTI and loved em. On my MK6 currently I have some random Goodyear all seasons and don't mix well with my tune lol. Will probably go with Michelin PSS for the summer or something of that equivalent. I think all seasons are a waste if you have snow tires because you're compromising for the snow with all seasons.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I think all seasons are a waste if you have snow tires because you're compromising for the snow with all seasons.

This.
I have the Michelin ps3+. While I like the tires overall, they will still break loose in third. If you have a dedicated winter set you should definitely opt for summer tires. I would be all over some PSS’s if I had the ability to get a winter set as well. I don’t have a climate controlled environment to store them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
This.
I have the Michelin ps3+. While I like the tires overall, they will still break loose in third. If you have a dedicated winter set you should definitely opt for summer tires. I would be all over some PSS’s if I had the ability to get a winter set as well. I don’t have a climate controlled environment to store them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking if I have a dedicated winter setup might as well splurge on a nice summer setup. Luckily the all 4 winter tires came with the car since my cousin didn’t have a use for them!

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I had BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2 on my MK5 GTI and loved em. On my MK6 currently I have some random Goodyear all seasons and don't mix well with my tune lol. Will probably go with Michelin PSS for the summer or something of that equivalent. I think all seasons are a waste if you have snow tires because you're compromising for the snow with all seasons.

True. It really depends on the climate you drive in and whether or not you have the money to acquire tires/wheels for the coinciding seasons. All seasons aren’t the best in any season but they keep up to a certain point. Idk.

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Just upgraded to some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, replacing the original Potenzas. Man, these Michelins are one hell of a tyre. No wheel spin, just grips and digs in. Great corner feel, even in the wet, and even a little quieter on the open road.

Overall I rate them. Hope they wear well (I hear they're OK).

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Got the oem wheels on for the first time in a few years.

Next week these won't be bronze anymore. :happyanim:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Changed the upper timing gasket, cam magnet gasket, and spent a good amount of time cleaning oil from the engine/under carriage.

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
Was able to knock out the subframe collars and the dogbone insert this weekend. Def notice the difference, both from the subframe and the dogbone insert. I'm not liking the extra vibrations from the insert at all (and I did the billet one to avoid that), but def a better feel from the front/throttle.

Also, interesting note to share here. I had heard that you cannot jack from the rail and also put it on a jackstand at the same time. Depending on your jack/stand combo, this may not be true. I was able to have the jack and stand on together, making the whole thing with jacking from the subframe irrelevant for me. This is the only way to jack the front properly imo. See below pics for reference.

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Changed the upper timing gasket, cam magnet gasket, and spent a good amount of time cleaning oil from the engine/under carriage.

How hard is that upper timing chain gasket to replace? Mine is leaking due to a bad PCV. I have not found a good DYI guide for this one.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
jacking these cars up is SUCH A PAIN!

Would love to do the proper mounts one day..

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
How hard is that upper timing chain gasket to replace? Mine is leaking due to a bad PCV. I have not found a good DYI guide for this one.

Its a nightmare, to take off the cover you need to remove the motor mount bracket (the bracket that connects to the engine), and removing that bracket is about 95% of the labor and time. Its a nightmare because the (3) #12 triple square bolts that hold that bracket are torqued on hard and there is only about 2-3 inches of clearance between the frame rail and bolts.

Essentially this is what it takes.

* Jack up the car and secure with floor jacks
* remove splash guard (so when you drop sockets they fall to the floor)
* remove dog bone mount
* grab a piece of wood and jack up the passenger side of the motor a little.
* remove noise pipe, all the bracket and plastic near the windshield fluid fill tank and coolant expansion tank.
* remove passenger side motor mount
* remove the motor mount bracket from hell (this will require lifting and lowering the engine a few time to get a good angle)
* loosen the bolts that secure the dipstick
* remove cam shaft magnet
* undo the 5 bolts that hold the timing cover
* remove cover
* install new gasket
*reinstall in reverse direction

anyone who says its a 20 minute job has no idea what they are talking about