GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Prepare for the following Cold Weather Threads

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Winter '11 when I got my GTI was one of the worst winters ever in the NYC area.
Certainly the worst in my lifetime.
I had little idea what my car even drove like in normal driving conditions 'till the big thaw.
When the glaciers finally retreated our already bad roads were a minefield of potholes.
Bad news for those big Detroits and low profile Pirellis - I promptly bubbled a tire.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
It may be beautiful down there, but...Florida.

Yeah, Florida weather is nice... But Florida itself sucks compared to up north. At least this part of central FL and every other place in Florida that looks like an exact copy of here.

And it was still like 92F yesterday. My car had heat soak in late October.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah...92 in October that's just miserably hot for me. Snowed this morning here and I'm still going around in short sleeves comfortably. Pretty thin guy too.

jedred1

jedred1
There is always lots of salt spread on the roads here in Salt Lake City. Last year I drove on my Dunlops that came with the car and it was ok but not near as good as my Blizaks on my last car. I always have to drive slower in winter regardless. When I start the car on a cold day it sounds like a tractor for about 1 min and runs at around 1,200 RPM then slows down to around 900 RPM. I don't know if it hurts or not but to be on the safe side I don't even put the car in drive until the RPS's slow down. I have a long straight away just around the corner from my house so I accelerate hard until I'm at about 60MPH and I hear the turbo easy on a cool day like "Eeeeeeeee". The colder it is the more I hear it. This is my first turbo car so I didn't know what to make of that. After lot's of reading on this and other sites I find that that is normal. Same with the tractor sounds which I gather are some sort of turbo warm up process.

mlody91

Ready to race!
Serious help needed!!!

The gti has been a bit hesitant with me the past few days on startup where I would have to hold the ignition for an extra second or so for it to start. Just 5 minutes ago I tried turning her on and all I get are stuttering/flashing lights on my dash with an ESP error message =(

Is this the starter, coil packs needed to be exchanged, spark plugs or possibly all the above?

Please guys I really could use the help!

Also, if it makes a difference, I recently replaced the exhaust with a full SPM TBE and did a stage 2 reflash like a week ago.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Serious help needed!!!

The gti has been a bit hesitant with me the past few days on startup where I would have to hold the ignition for an extra second or so for it to start. Just 5 minutes ago I tried turning her on and all I get are stuttering/flashing lights on my dash with an ESP error message =(

Is this the starter, coil packs needed to be exchanged, spark plugs or possibly all the above?

Please guys I really could use the help!

Also, if it makes a difference, I recently replaced the exhaust with a full SPM TBE and did a stage 2 reflash like a week ago.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, but I'd check your battery first.

mlody91

Ready to race!
I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, but I'd check your battery first.

I searched "car won't start" in the search engine and this was the first thing that popped up. Plus the beginning of the thread mentions rough idle at startup. I was experiencing a similar issue but instead of rough idle I had hesitation occur on startup, but now I can't even turn the car on.

It was quickly written because I panicked and had to rush to work. I'll check in the morning if it's the battery. I appreciate the feedback.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I searched "car won't start" in the search engine and this was the first thing that popped up. Plus the beginning of the thread mentions rough idle at startup. I was experiencing a similar issue but instead of rough idle I had hesitation occur on startup, but now I can't even turn the car on.

It was quickly written because I panicked and had to rush to work. I'll check in the morning if it's the battery. I appreciate the feedback.

Textbook hard start. In a VW, this means it's new battery time. And it actually does relate to this thread, as most batteries at the end of their life are fine when the weather is warm, but once your pulling cold cranking power, the trouble is evident.

Legendary

Ready to race!
Fake Fail thread actually becomes viable... who woulda thunk?

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I would assume its simliar to the light that goes off in our other car (lancer), it just warns you whenever the roads are under 40-35 degree ish, cause with wind chills the roads could be slippery or frozen. Its just a little reminder to be careful on cold and potentially icy roads. Whether its dry out or not its just going by temperature. Even though its 36.5 degrees on your drive to work, that "feels like 20 F" number is cold enough to freeze a small puddle on the road with the wind chills.

Wrong. Wind chill is just what we "feel". If the temperature is 36.5 degrees it is 36.5 degrees, water will not freeze regardless of wind chill.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Wrong. Wind chill is just what we "feel". If the temperature is 36.5 degrees it is 36.5 degrees, water will not freeze regardless of wind chill.

True but it also depends on where the temperature was measured. If your thermometer says it is 37 degrees, but it is outside your kitchen window on the second floor; actual ground level could be as much as 6-8 degrees colder (so water would freeze)