GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

32GB SDHC Card

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my 2010 GTI yesterday and I'm absolutely in love with it.

I plan to buy a 32GB SD Card to store my music.

I was wondering if anyone here has the same size card and what your experiences are. Especially, I would like to know how quick navigating the folder structure is. Do you have to wait a bit every time you start the car until it has indexed the card? How long is the delay between selecting a folder on the card and the contents of the folder being displayed?

I'm curious because I hooked up my wife's IPod yesterday and there's a pretty noticeable lag when selecting artists, albums etc.

itgvw

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I have a 4gb and 8gb card and there is very little lag in between selecting folders and songs for both cards. The only lag that I can distinguish between the 4 and 8gb card is the boot up time it takes when you switch from radio/cd to sd card. I do not know how 32gb's would fare but hope that helps.

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
It does, thanks. So I guess the size of the card doesn't make a difference when browsing.

I do wonder how bad the lag is when booting up a 32gb card...

I guess I'll find out soon :)

sonomichele

I have a 16gb card and notice about a 5 to 10 second delay. It probably depends on your folder structure, I read elsewhere (but have not verified) that if all your mp3s are in the top level and not in folders, it is much faster. I have mine in folders and haven't tried that.

I would caution you before getting your 32gb card that the unit has a limit on how many folders and songs it can read, which I think is about 500 folders and 2048 songs. If you have more it just doesn't read them anything beyond that limit.

I have also been unsuccessful in getting playlists to work with SDHC cards, but that may just be me.

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, so maybe the better strategy is to have 2-3 smaller cards and swap them. Even though that's a little annoying.

That 500 folder/2048 songs limit seems a little arbitrary. Is that mentioned in the manual? Also, I assume that is 2048 songs per folder, not for the whole card?