GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Replacement Tires for 15 Inch Wheels

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
There are a ton of tires for the larger diameter VW wheels, but it is getting increasingly harder to find really good sport tires for the OE 15 inch wheel size, so to help others out I though I'd start this tread.

Please tell us what 15 inch tires you recommend for the MK6 Golf.

Goodyear Eagle Sport AS (195-65-15) are pretty good value, V-rate tire that is quiet and provides great dry grip, and good wet grip. The shoulders don't roll over under hard cornering.

somerset91

Ready to race!
I used to have Kumho Ecsta TA71. If you really want substantial improvement over hard cornering, I'd just upgrade rear sway. I think my best ride was when I had my 15 inch wheels and H&R 22mm RSB. I have since upgraded to 18" and the improvements in cornering were minimal with the rear sways.

I chose the Kumho since they were very quiet and had a nice ride without feeling too mushy.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I used to have Kumho Ecsta TA71. If you really want substantial improvement over hard cornering, I'd just upgrade rear sway. I think my best ride was when I had my 15 inch wheels and H&R 22mm RSB. I have since upgraded to 18" and the improvements in cornering were minimal with the rear sways.

I chose the Kumho since they were very quiet and had a nice ride without feeling too mushy.
Good review, I have the RSB as well.

My buddy has Continental Pure Contacts on his MK5 Rabbit, they are really good too but after a while they got noisy.

donutpop365

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but how is the handling with just the 22mm RSB? I've been thinking about getting one without doing the front because I don't really want to drop my subframe and getting a FSB and paying installation costs a lot.

Does it oversteer too easily? Is it neutral? Does it still understeer like a pig? Is the body roll better?

Thanks!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have the Hotchkist 27mm RSB it's hollow so on it's softest setting equal to about a 23-24mm solid RSB. If you aren't tracking and you don't go any stiffer you shouldn't need to upgrade your FSB.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Handling is much much more planted. I haven't tracked (nor do I plan on it) or gone on canyon runs (in future plans) but I much like the stability that I have during turns. Larger bumps feel a little bit harsher but it's much preferable than the mushy feel during turns. Can't really say much about oversteer/understeer as I haven't pushed my car enough to experience either of those symptoms.

I might get a good deal on a GTI front sway bar, so I might upgrade it while I'm at it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Kinforest KF550, aka Mayrun M500

Did some track time with these tires at Calabogie near Ottawa. Yes I'm one of the few nutz to drive on the track with 15 inch tires, for cheap tires they are quite good in the dry (can't speak for them in adverse conditions tho) and stood up well to hard cornering lap after lap and just as good as my old 15 inch Michelins. The great thing is if when I trash 'em they are super cheap to replace.

Found this Youtube review:
https://youtu.be/tP_s-hLWwvE

Cheers

Last edited: