GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help My Car Drop Weight

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
the biggest feel I had was adding a 6lb battery and corner balancing, man it's on rails. I want to delete my entire rear seat but I have a 4-door, it looks like garbage.

My thoughts exactly. I went to an 11lb battery and i felt the difference right away. Haven't autcrossed it yet though.

And I share the same thoughts as you with the rear seats. My car is literally the same car as yours from the factory. 6-speed, grey, 4-door, 2011. Although i've got a sunroof. Was really cool to see your car at last years waterfest.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
The easiest way to turn your GTI into a lightweight track car is to sell it and buy a Miata. Weight reduction on these cars is mostly pointless.

This is simply not true. After dropping 350lbs in my mk6 I can assure you it is formidable on the track and even more so in roll races.

Mx5s are stellar track cars but no where near the power output or functionality. Weight reduction in these cars serves to preserve the latter while increasing its aggressiveness in the circuit

My thoughts exactly. I went to an 11lb battery and i felt the difference right away. Haven't autcrossed it yet though.

And I share the same thoughts as you with the rear seats. My car is literally the same car as yours from the factory. 6-speed, grey, 4-door, 2011. Although i've got a sunroof. Was really cool to see your car at last years waterfest.

The biggest downside to the 4doors is weight IMO. Its weight not so easily removed either

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
This is simply not true. After dropping 350lbs in my mk6 I can assure you it is formidable on the track and even more so in roll races.

Mx5s are stellar track cars but no where near the power output or functionality. Weight reduction in these cars serves to preserve the latter while increasing its aggressiveness in the circuit

The biggest downside to the 4doors is weight IMO. Its weight not so easily removed either

All this.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

Thank you. Waterfest will move this year as they shut down Englishtown. If you saw the car now it would look different, port fuel is done, direct port meth has a new layout with a stage 2 PWM solenoid, new headlights, new front splitter, Corbeau seats, etc.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
What is the difference from 2dr to 4door? 100 lbs max?

The good thing is at ~3000-3200lbs, these are MUCH lighter than most 'sports cars' these days

IDK, I pulled around 200 lbs from my cobalt, from ~3000 to ~2800 lbs, it sure was a rocket but hard to tell the baseline for sure since i was building it during the time as well.

Without an interior, cars are far to visceral to be streetable without gritting your teeth everywhere you go

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Thank you. Waterfest will move this year as they shut down Englishtown. If you saw the car now it would look different, port fuel is done, direct port meth has a new layout with a stage 2 PWM solenoid, new headlights, new front splitter, Corbeau seats, etc.

Has the venue change been confirmed for Waterfest? I thought in the press release it said they’d be holding already scheduled summer events.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
What is the difference from 2dr to 4door? 100 lbs max?

The good thing is at ~3000-3200lbs, these are MUCH lighter than most 'sports cars' these days

IDK, I pulled around 200 lbs from my cobalt, from ~3000 to ~2800 lbs, it sure was a rocket but hard to tell the baseline for sure since i was building it during the time as well.

Without an interior, cars are far to visceral to be streetable without gritting your teeth everywhere you go

I want to say its 80lbs or so. Sure it doesnt sound like much initially but as you mentioned it does make quite a bit of difference.

Case in point is that my k04 car pulls better 30-100 times than most other even though there is a 25hp/25tq differential favoring the lower hp car (91oct map vs 93).

My philosophy on weight reduction is function too. I drive my car every day. I want radio and blutooth and airbags... I want the sound to be a bit tamer... I want carpet. But there is a balance ya know?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Injen, can you list what all you've done & dropped to achieve your weight loss?

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Injen, can you list what all you've done & dropped to achieve your weight loss?

Sure:

Base weight 3120 ish (2dr, no sunroof, 6mt)

-Bride seat (30lbs lighter)
-CF hood (20lbs lighter)
-Braille battery (29lbs lighter)
-Flywheel (12 lbs lighter)
-Wheels (44lbs lighter/ 11 per corner)
-rear seats removed (80lbs lighter)

Then lots of odds and ends... brake rotors, lower control arms, exhaust (aluminium steel) Intercooler, lighter tires, removed rear wiper etc

When i weighed my car shortly after buying it (moving overseas in the army you have to) it was 3140. when you weight it you have to have 1/4 a tank of fuel or they will not ship, so i use that as my baseline. Now with the same fuel i weigh 2790

some variables are my meth tank... full its an additional 10lbs or so

riceburner

Autocross Champion
not bad at all man! To take a step back from my statement above, I was saying dropping like 50-100 lbs is not a huge deal. 300 lbs on the other hand, now we're talking.

I have certainly tossed around the idea of taking the rear seat out for a while to see how I like it... car rubs with rear passengers anyway, and shit it's not that hard to put back in if need be. Such an easy 80 lb's GONE.

Dont forget, I bet you removed the rear tire and tools, XYZ - that's another ~40 lbs right there.

Also I just know one day i'm going to get some aftermarket front seats which also will be shedding some weight.

I should get a baseline weight taken sometime...

Thanks!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
not bad at all man! To take a step back from my statement above, I was saying dropping like 50-100 lbs is not a huge deal. 300 lbs on the other hand, now we're talking.

I have certainly tossed around the idea of taking the rear seat out for a while to see how I like it... car rubs with rear passengers anyway, and shit it's not that hard to put back in if need be. Such an easy 80 lb's GONE.

Dont forget, I bet you removed the rear tire and tools, XYZ - that's another ~40 lbs right there.

Also I just know one day i'm going to get some aftermarket front seats which also will be shedding some weight.

I should get a baseline weight taken sometime...

Thanks!

Forgot about the tools and spare!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

Oh nice! I want those new Osram headlights so bad; are those the ones you went with?

Yea I heard that Waterfest won't be in Englishtown anymore because they are shutting down the drag strip. Is there any word on where it'll be in 2018? I know there is at least 1 drag strip in NY.