GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't turn engine over with spark plugs off. Done?

samguan

Ready to race!
This is an engine that has been leaking oil for a while. We decided to replace rear main seal and put on a new clutch. Also we installed a new PCV valve. We had a few times where we got low oil pressure light due to low oil and we had to top it up. So the engine is not in great condition but drives fine before we parked in the garage for a while.

After putting the clutch and the transmission back, upon starting the engine for the first time, we heard a horribly loud clicking/slapping type of noise so we though we fucked up the clutch install. Pulled the transmission again and everything seems fine!

We tried to manually crank the flywheel with the transmission and clutch off and we would hear a loud, I mean like a big spring unload type of clicking noise whenever we manually turn the flywheel and the flywheel would just stop. We removed the spark plug and same thing, can't turn the flywheel over, it would make a very loud clicking noise near the valve cover, intake manifold area and the flywheel just stops.

Here is video of the first start after clutch install, we thought it was a bad installation:

Took the tranny and clutch out and manually turn the flywheel with the spark plugs off, here is a video of the loud clicking sound and then we can't turn the flywheel anymore. You can go back in the other direction and it would hit a stop again.

Thanks for any advice, this is a project car to learn to work on car since we bought another car.

Potentially the timing chain tension failed sitting there or on startup causing piston to hit the valves? I’ve seen few cases on the internet where the timing chain tension failed with the car just sitting there.

Any other possible causes? Right now the transmission and the clutch are out of the car and out of the picture. And the slapping noise seems coming from the engine top.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hard for me to tell, but I would be looking at the timing chain & tensioner. Good luck I hope it is an easy fix.