GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Review:KMD Tuning Clutch kit

Kbruh

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone else bought, tested, reviewed the KMD SSR+ Clutch Kit?

I have had similar experience as the OP with this product. The kit now has 4k miles on it and the friction point/engagement is little higher than stock but the pedal effort is negligible after a few weeks. I kept the original DMFW, only had 12K miles on it. New bolts and TOB were provided as well. I have zero chatter or gearing issues.

I was concerned about the drivability of the 8 button semi metallic SB disc included (SO#59069) but daily drivability is great and I sit in traffic 2hrs a day. I am very happy with the product and wanted to try a different clutch solution than the RSR.

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
I have had similar experience as the OP with this product. The kit now has 4k miles on it and the friction point/engagement is little higher than stock but the pedal effort is negligible after a few weeks. I kept the original DMFW, only had 12K miles on it. New bolts and TOB were provided as well. I have zero chatter or gearing issues.

I was concerned about the drivability of the 8 button semi metallic SB disc included (SO#59069) but daily drivability is great and I sit in traffic 2hrs a day. I am very happy with the product and wanted to try a different clutch solution than the RSR.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RaV$

Ready to race!
Thank you, I will be updating soon

Correct the kit doesn't come with a flywheel.

Question i no this does not come with the fly wheel. I have had the famous TOB squeal for some time will this effect the current flywheel or should I buy a whole new one?

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
Question i no this does not come with the fly wheel. I have had the famous TOB squeal for some time will this effect the current flywheel or should I buy a whole new one?

We recommend buying a new FW with our kit.
(our kit includes a new metal TOB)
:thumbsup:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Great review! Just to chime in, I got mine installed today and will be giving some basic/general impressions on my build thread. Excited to see how this clutch performs! Thanks to Frank and the people at KMD for the great service!

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE, My TOB ended up going bad so long story short the I've now broken in this clutch twice as I just finished the second break in process.

I will also be putting this clutch to the test by going stage 3 shortly and am very interested to see how it performs then.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE, My TOB ended up going bad so long story short the I've now broken in this clutch twice as I just finished the second break in process.

I will also be putting this clutch to the test by going stage 3 shortly and am very interested to see how it performs then.

What symptoms did you have that led you to determine your throw out bearing went bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
What symptoms did you have that led you to determine your throw out bearing went bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was very touch and go- some days my car showed very few symptoms and some days my car just flat out wouldn't go into gear. beyond that shifts felt extremely touchy I had to pound the clutch to the flow to get any smooth shift if it would even go into gear.

But overall the car was un-drivable due to inability to get into gears. It was a huge PITA but luckily its over now.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Had it on my car for a couple thousand miles now. Feels great and not a single hint of slipping. I've gotten on it a few times and it definitely feels like a power upgrade since now my car pulls without any hesitation. :burnrubber:
Here are my only curiosities I've noticed so far. Sometimes the pedal feels stiffer than normal but it's hard to pinpoint any consistency to it. I don't mind the resistance but I'm curious why it feels different only sometimes. It's almost as if it has resistance right after the engagement point. Also, getting going in first is sometimes shaky. There are occasional vibrations as it feels like the clutch is just catching. Could just be driver error as the engagement point is higher and I will admit I'm no Stig driver...hahah I wonder if it has anything to do with button type disc? And maybe the change in pedal feel is due to the disc heating up and becoming more grabby?

I've also started driving differently with this clutch...I used to push the pedal to the floor for every shift (I have a clutch stop), but now that the engagement point is much higher than stock I can just tap the clutch pedal and be shifting much faster.

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
Had it on my car for a couple thousand miles now. Feels great and not a single hint of slipping. I've gotten on it a few times and it definitely feels like a power upgrade since now my car pulls without any hesitation. :burnrubber:
Here are my only curiosities I've noticed so far. Sometimes the pedal feels stiffer than normal but it's hard to pinpoint any consistency to it. I don't mind the resistance but I'm curious why it feels different only sometimes. It's almost as if it has resistance right after the engagement point. Also, getting going in first is sometimes shaky. There are occasional vibrations as it feels like the clutch is just catching. Could just be driver error as the engagement point is higher and I will admit I'm no Stig driver...hahah I wonder if it has anything to do with button type disc? And maybe the change in pedal feel is due to the disc heating up and becoming more grabby?

I've also started driving differently with this clutch...I used to push the pedal to the floor for every shift (I have a clutch stop), but now that the engagement point is much higher than stock I can just tap the clutch pedal and be shifting much faster.

Good to see your enjoying it! I can't speak to the reason for potential grabbiness mine has been much more settled down not that its all re-broken & I have a working TOB :) . Keep us posted on clutch if you have any other updates or changes always interested to hear