GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Defrost/Seat Question

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. On my way to work this morning I turned on my rear defrost and my heated seat. When reversing out of my driveway I could tell that my rear defrost was working. A few miles down the road I went to adjust the climate settings and noticed that the rear defrost button was blinking. Normally the rear defrost turns off own but I've never seen it blink. I held the button down and it shut off. At that time I noticed that my heated seat was on but was not working either. A few moments later I tried the defrost again, pushed the button and it continued to blink.

Anyone have this issue before? I'm assuming that the blinking light on the rear defrost button means that its not working.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have read that a dying battery can cause this. How old is your battery or do you have a loose connection or corrossion at the terminals.

I think the blinking light indicates a malfunction.

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
My battery was replaced in Feb 2018. Im at work currently so I cant check the connection or terminals at the moment but that'll be the first place I look when I get home.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have read that a dying battery can cause this. How old is your battery or do you have a loose connection or corrossion at the terminals.

I think the blinking light indicates a malfunction.
WWW, you are a wealth of knowledge you picked up on this one pretty fast. :clap:

To extend on this tho, if a bad bad battery can cause this then a failing Alternator could be in play too.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Own a golf tdi for 8yrs/120k miles and hate to pay someone to fix things for you and you learn alot about the platform. Helping other people out also gives you the opportunity to learn. You never know when your defroster light starts flashing or you need to replace the MAP sensor. Or you need to rebuild the carb on a '48 willys and someone 40 years ago used parts from a different model carb to fix yours and.......well you know what I mean. Thank God for the forums and the guys who have been there done that.

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
Update on my car....so on Sunday I was driving and my car started to show signs that the battery was dying (2 months prior my battery died and had to be replaced. Every warning light on my dashboard was going off and I got a Airbag Error warning and lost power steering). Anyway I pulled off the side of the road and checked over my battery. All of the connections were secure and it seemed as if my car still had minimal power. I could still turn on my radio and put my windows up and down, however the car wouldn't start. I took the battery out and took it to O'Reily's to have it tested. The employee indicated that the battery was completely drained and needed to be recharged and estimated that it would take about an hour and a half. The battery was recharged and I was told no issues were found when it was tested. I put it back in the car and the car started fine. I had the car towed to a local VW garage in fear that it may stop on the highway. They've just finished looking my car over and told me that my battery is fine and that my alternator has failed. So due to the alternator failing it was pulling power from my battery which is what caused it do die.