Go Kart Champion
projectors/HIDs > reflectors/halogen
IRS > Torsion beam
rear disc brakes > rear drum brakes
GTI interior > Jetta interior

I think the choice should be clear

Unless he gets the GLI.

Track tuned four-way Independent Performance Suspension for superb handling
- DSG automatic gearbox that offers steering wheel mounted paddles shifters, super quick shift times and rev-matched downshifts
-XDS cross differential system that debuted on the Volkswagen GTI, that helps prevent inside wheel spin during cornering
- Four wheel disc brakes with floating red calipers

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
You'll regret getting the Jetta. If there is any way that you could possibly get a GTi, even a base model, I would go that route. You may be able to find a few GTi' in your price range but be prepared to take a base model car with some miles on it and be ready to travel for it.

Eh, I found one like not even 10 miles away from my place. This dealer has two left. I think both are base and the only difference is a 4dr in black and 2dr in white.

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
not sure why that guy is so angry with you, but yeah they are right you will realistically be paying about 25k out the door

Could be the cars I drive or the fact that I've been looking for one for 6 months. Honestly, getting into college was my priority. I mean, what's the use of getting a car if I'm not even gonna drive it anywhere? Now that I got into the college I want, I'll look into how I'm gonna be transporting myself. And now I'm looking more seriously. As for price, I was looking at Zag and it was saying that a base 2011 would be $21.5k. So if a dealer still has a 2010 in stock, a base one anyway; I'm pretty sure he'd be wanting to get rid of it.

McQueen77

Banned
Could be the cars I drive or the fact that I've been looking for one for 6 months. Honestly, getting into college was my priority. I mean, what's the use of getting a car if I'm not even gonna drive it anywhere? Now that I got into the college I want, I'll look into how I'm gonna be transporting myself. And now I'm looking more seriously. As for price, I was looking at Zag and it was saying that a base 2011 would be $21.5k. So if a dealer still has a 2010 in stock, a base one anyway; I'm pretty sure he'd be wanting to get rid of it.

once again, you're dreaming but good luck and let us know about that new GTI you get for the price of a fully loaded Toyota Yaris.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion

VW dealers do not negotiate like other dealers. You won't get one that cheap. If you want a car cheap, go to Nissan or Toyota. Kia or Hyundai have nice cars for someone in college like yourself. Suggest you start there. Buying a 21-24k car while in college is stupid.

FNR32

Ready to race!
Buying a 21-24k car while in college is stupid.
That's a pretty stupid statement to make I think. Obviously, not everyone's situation is the same. Im in college and I have had a bunch of cars in and above that 21-24 range. If someone doesn't have a job and has little to no clue about how they're going to pay their car note I agree that it's probably not the smartest thing in the world but commenting on how someone spends their money online is played and tasteless...even if he is trolling. :cool:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
That's a pretty stupid statement to make I think. Obviously, not everyone's situation is the same. Im in college and I have had a bunch of cars in and above that 21-24 range. If someone doesn't have a job and has little to no clue about how they're going to pay their car note I agree that it's probably not the smartest thing in the world but commenting on how someone spends their money online is played and tasteless...even if he is trolling. :cool:

Again, it is STUPID to have a car that expensive while you are a teen going to college. Ask any Financial person, CPA, etc. They will tell you the same thing. Buy a beater, a used car, have no car payments. Get you through school till you get into your career and have a full time job that pays well. This is why America is so in debt and so stupid with so many people that have no clue how to spend their money.

dustinwark

Miesian
Well technically it is stupid to EVER buy a $20k+ vehicle. Bad financial decision as it will always depreciate (with very few exceptions).

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Well technically it is stupid to EVER buy a $20k+ vehicle. Bad financial decision as it will always depreciate (with very few exceptions).

Cars use to cost $3500. That is $15k in today's prices. A kid going to college should look around the 15k price range. People who have full time jobs that are just starting out can do the $20k range. People who are doing really well go up from there. I had a $38k Z, and got rid of it because I was spending as much as a house payment on it and it was stupid.

But we have to have cars to get places....doesn't mean we need to have a expensive one while going to college.

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
Again, it is STUPID to have a car that expensive while you are a teen going to college. Ask any Financial person, CPA, etc. They will tell you the same thing. Buy a beater, a used car, have no car payments. Get you through school till you get into your career and have a full time job that pays well. This is why America is so in debt and so stupid with so many people that have no clue how to spend their money.

Well not everyone is in the same financial situation. You make it sound as if all teens are from the projects with parents that don't make more than $25k/year. And my parents (mostly my dad) have problems with used cars. How would you know it hasn't been abused? How would you know if it's been raced or not? A carfax can only tell so much. And uh, beater cars would probably suck just as much on insurance since it's most likely isn't as safe as today's cars. 2 airbags vs. 6, along with the way the body, I guess you would say collapses, when you crash. It just makes the GTi look a million times safer. Oh and by the way, if you wanna know why the parents have problems with used cars, is because they got one for my sister and it was the biggest piece of shit ever. Engine was garbage, tranny was just about as useful as a manual without a clutch, could've just spent the money on a new car and not have to deal with that garbage.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Well not everyone is in the same financial situation. You make it sound as if all teens are from the projects with parents that don't make more than $25k/year. And my parents (mostly my dad) have problems with used cars. How would you know it hasn't been abused? How would you know if it's been raced or not? A carfax can only tell so much. And uh, beater cars would probably suck just as much on insurance since it's most likely isn't as safe as today's cars. 2 airbags vs. 6, along with the way the body, I guess you would say collapses, when you crash. It just makes the GTi look a million times safer. Oh and by the way, if you wanna know why the parents have problems with used cars, is because they got one for my sister and it was the biggest piece of shit ever. Engine was garbage, tranny was just about as useful as a manual without a clutch, could've just spent the money on a new car and not have to deal with that garbage.

LOL....sorry but teens living under mommy's roof and taking money from them to pay for the car are the ones with the issue like yourself.

BTW, go over to the VORTEX, it's more of your age group.

Last edited:

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
LOL....sorry but teens living under mommy's roof and taking money from them to pay for the car are the ones with the issue like yourself.

BTW, go over to the VORTEX, it's more of your age group.

Oh so, even though they want to spend their money for me, you're saying they shouldn't? I'd love to know where you come from thinking that you're the voice of God and that everyone should listen to you. You should take care of things in your own household before going out and criticizing everyone. Besides that kid who "stole" his mom's credit card. Quite humorous.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Oh so, even though they want to spend their money for me, you're saying they shouldn't? I'd love to know where you come from thinking that you're the voice of God and that everyone should listen to you. You should take care of things in your own household before going out and criticizing everyone. Besides that kid who "stole" his mom's credit card. Quite humorous.

Nah, just hate spoiled brats like yourself. :dnftt: :attention_whore:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Actually I am tired of the kids on these forums these days. Never had this problem on other car related forums. Get a GTI, and it's bad.