GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

aerodynamics?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I have had the belly pan on mine for a while now.
Two things ive recently noticed.
One is the oil temperature is higher with it fitted. ~105_108ºC
The second thing ive noticed is that the front corners of the cars fenders above the front lights were they come to a point get very hot. Im starting to think this maybe because this looks like the only area not more or less sealed in the engine bay apart from were the exhaust exists. Or maybe this happens with the standard undertrayed cars too? But they often get too hot to keep a hand on were as everything else is cold to the touch round them.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Never experienced this, mate.
Oil temp still about 90° C on country roads and ~ 110" - 115° on full throttle.
Same as before. Let's say it 1° or 2° more.

Did you do any other mods simultaneously?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
No but it has just been serviced maybe the oil they used this time is different. (VW main dealer, invoice quoted long life oil)
Im going to refit the old cover to compare.
Mine sitting around the 99-100 at best case. Its averaging 103-108. Not had a chance to see what it gets too with enthusiastic driving.

thegave

Ready to race!
Unfortunately - almost none. The big engine undertray will fit easily. The 'wave'
tunnel cover from summit will fit. Possibly the OE trailing arm covers may fit a
4-motion, but I haven't tried it yet.

The Golf R gives different playing fields. Haldex mod, battery relocation with R32
battery tray and connctor in the rear, TT-S intake (if battery relocated) and so on . . .

Anyone have any updated information on whether the rear parts will fit on a MK6 R?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
So much truth

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418091966368.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418091966368.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 526

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Reviving an old, ancient, dead thread.

Put the mk5 R32 Belly pan on my MK6 R this week. Immediately noticed it feeling more stable and planted on the highway as slow as 40 MPH. Hit 100 on a flat stretch and didn't get the lift/floaty feeling I am used to at that speed. Not placebo. I drive the same roads to and from work every day and it was immediate. Took all of 10 minutes to install and to me it is a nice piece. Not doing it for fuel economy, but for aerodynamics and stability and it has done what i hoped it would.

0527152037.jpg

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
^^nice

i installed a few OEM underbody parts, i actually never felt a difference lol...tho my engine is a lot cleaner and looks nicer to see everything covered up

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Did you do the belly pan or all those other little parts? Wonder if the R/GTI front bumper matters, or the other differences? I think it made enough of a difference that if someone took it off and din't tell me, I would be able to tell.

I also speed all the time. I really don't drive slow so maybe the speeds or road conditions here lend to me noticing. What is your ride height? I am about 25 inches +/- FTG all around. little higher in rear.

^^nice

i installed a few OEM underbody parts, i actually never felt a difference lol...tho my engine is a lot cleaner and looks nicer to see everything covered up

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Did you do the belly pan or all those other little parts? Wonder if the R/GTI front bumper matters, or the other differences? I think it made enough of a difference that if someone took it off and din't tell me, I would be able to tell.

I also speed all the time. I really don't drive slow so maybe the speeds or road conditions here lend to me noticing. What is your ride height? I am about 25 inches +/- FTG all around. little higher in rear.

i'm on DG springs, so slightly higher than 25inches. i also have the 2a & 2b part. the Golf R bumper does look better for aero for sure tho, even on the GTI cup car races they use the R bumper. not really part of Aero i guess, but i also have TT-RS brake ducts. i wanted to get #3&4, but i don't think it'll fit with my exhaust

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Reviving an old, ancient, dead thread.

Put the mk5 R32 Belly pan on my MK6 R this week. Immediately noticed it feeling more stable and planted on the highway as slow as 40 MPH. Hit 100 on a flat stretch and didn't get the lift/floaty feeling I am used to at that speed. Not placebo. I drive the same roads to and from work every day and it was immediate. Took all of 10 minutes to install and to me it is a nice piece. Not doing it for fuel economy, but for aerodynamics and stability and it has done what i hoped it would.

View attachment 48986

Looking at that belly pan, does the hole at the rear correspond with the oil drain plug? It would be nice not to have to drop the pan to do an oil change.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
No it does not, at least on the Golf R FSI. The NACA Duct is more rearward of the plug position.

You can't get your hand in that duct, too small.

Since this is rear of the plug position do you think it was designed to direct some airflow to downpipe/turbo?

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Being that it is from the Mk5 R32, id be curious what was in that location on that VR6. They designed it for that, not the turbo engines.

Be interested to know if it came on other models of MK5 like GTI with 2.0T, then yes i would think that would be to cool the turbo.

Anyone know what is present there on the VR6 in the MK5 R32?

Edit: Looks like all thats there is the DSG trans. Must have been a duct to further cool the trans.

download.jpg

You can't get your hand in that duct, too small.

Since this is rear of the plug position do you think it was designed to direct some airflow to downpipe/turbo?

Last edited: